Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was taking something out of the boot and rather than use the "handle" that is provided to close the boot, I just used by free hand to push the hatch down.

"Ouch" I said as blood started flowing from the index finger on my right hand.


I had actually sliced my finger on the panel that holds the Vauxhall badge. On closer inspection I realized that it was the same on both sides, the panel doesn't sit flush with the other panel. Not only that but there is definitely a difference in the colour between this panel and the rest of the hatch frame.


The photograph below shows the two sharp "points" and are highlighted with the green arrows. The red arrow just confirms the complete panel that is a different shade.


Has anyone else noticed a difference in the colour and/or noticed the two panels don't align ? or am I having to put on an appointment with my dealer ?





Edited by: Antarius
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Can't sea a difference on my one but its white so might not stand out so much as metallic.

What I would say because that section is plastic that might be the reason its a slightly different colour. I had a Nissan with plastic wings and always complained that they were slightly different to the doors etc and that's what I was told by the dealer and a Bodyshop when I asked them about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are probably right Grumps about one panel being metal and one being plastic and that accounts for the difference in tone.

Does your "plastic" panel fit and join perfectly with the metal panel that sits below the rear windscreen either side of the plastic part ?


As I mentioned earlier, the plastic panel on my Antara sits a fraction above the metal panel and definitely doesn't fit snuggly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Yes Antarius, mine too is sharp in the top corners, the colour match is good but mine is white. Usually plastic parts are painted in the plastics shop and married up to the car on the Assembly line, the body being painted in the paint shop. Or the plastic finisher you mention could be a 'bought' part were it is painted at the suppliers factory hence a colour mismatch, this is common usually noticed on the front and rear bumpers of cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnno55 said:
Yes Antarius, mine too is sharp in the top corners, the colour match is good but mine is white. Usually plastic parts are painted in the plastics shop and married up to the car on the Assembly line, the body being painted in the paint shop. Or the plastic finisher you mention could be a 'bought' part were it is painted at the suppliers factory hence a colour mismatch, this is common usually noticed on the front and rear bumpers of cars.

Thanks for replying Johnno



At least I now know that the sharp edges isn't just on my car, not that it makes it any better though. I agree that the plastic panel was added outwith the body shop and that is why there is a slight difference in shades.


To be honest I had washed the car a few times before this happened and never noticed. It was only after I cut my finger on the sharp edge, that I looked closer and could see a very slight shade difference.


If there was a "shade scale" between one and ten, the difference between the metal panel and the plastic panel would be one at the most. I even asked my two sons to stand and look at the panels and they didn't notice it until I pointed it out and even then they weren't convinced.


There was even a suggestion that I was having a "senior moment"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Will check mine in the light but havent noticed anything odd colour wise but again,mines white.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
No colour difference in the black, but yes to sharp edges.
Never noticed until you mentioned it.

Mind you i always use the handle to close the boot, good job if you loose half a finger !!!



Mat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8342mat said:
No colour difference in the black, but yes to sharp edges.
Never noticed until you mentioned it.

Mind you i always use the handle to close the boot, good job if you loose half a finger !!!



Mat

To be honest Mat, I usually use the inside "handle" to close the hatch but on that occasion my hands were full of shopping bags so I just pulled down on the panel. It was only when I was giving it a final push to close it that my finger caught on the sharp edge.


Being the "brave soldier" that I am, I washed it under water and didn't even put a plaster on the 1mm cut/slice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grumps said:
Did a bit of spam cleaning on this one to delete the unwanted comments. Hope you don't mind John

Mind ?


Why should I mind ?


I'm used to it by now !!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Antarius said:
Grumps said:
Did a bit of spam cleaning on this one to delete the unwanted comments. Hope you don't mind John

Mind ?


Why should I mind ?


I'm used to it by now !!!! 
Only making it a much better place to be.

Anything else you think should be removed just let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grumps said:
Only making it a much better place to be.

Anything else you think should be removed just let me know.

Any thread that I haven't posted on !!!



Okey Dokey.....I'll keep it in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Antarius said:
8342mat said:
No colour difference in the black, but yes to sharp edges.
Never noticed until you mentioned it.

Mind you i always use the handle to close the boot, good job if you loose half a finger !!!

 

Mat

To be honest Mat, I usually use the inside "handle" to close the hatch but on that occasion my hands were full of shopping bags so I just pulled down on the panel. It was only when I was giving it a final push to close it that my finger caught on the sharp edge.


Being the "brave soldier" that I am, I washed it under water and didn't even put a plaster on the 1mm cut/slice. 
 
And John that is why you are crying now
that wife of yours and all that shopping she should be kissing it better and making you a nice cup of sweet tea
poor wee soul, hope you get better soon

Wilma
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top