Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we picked up our Antara a week ago, a 61 plate SE Nav. Love the car, and it's a big step up from the Frontera we had in the past but considering it was from a main dealer the car preparation isn't what I've been used to previously.

My question is, the car has the Clarion NX501E fitted but the radio reception is pants. I want to remove it to check to see if there is a Fakra aerial connector fitted, but I can't see how to remove the unit, any clues? I know I'll need removal keys / tools, but after a long search on the net, I still don't know which ones I need. Please help!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Remove the fascia and you should see the outer casing which is fixed to the dash on each side between the outer case and the head unit you will see metal lugs. The tool you get with the unit slips into the center between the outer case and the metal lug. If you dont have the tool in pretty sure a thin blade or screwdriver will do the job. you should then be able to pull the head unit out.

BTW I had the same issue of poor reception but I got my dealer to install an aerial booster which helped.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Vauxhallman,I have the same unit fitted to my car.
Unfortunately whilst I can find the Clarion handbook I can't lay my hands on the fitting instructions at this moment in time, I have got them somewhere. I have however found the box of bits that came with it and it contains other surrounds that fit around the unit and presumable fill the double din space in the car. These appear to just push in so presumably will prise out carefully as they are quite thin and delicate. I have found the metal key which I assume releases the unit from the cage but surprisingly there is only one, not sure why. Ifit would help I will try to photo the end ofit,its not exactly complicated.
Let me know if this is of any help.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll have another go tomorrow. A pic of the tool would be brilliant if you could please!

After removing the surround there's two bronze plates folded over the edge of the cage, I'm assuming the tool / screwdriver pushes in the gap between them? Apart from the slow start up and poor reception the radio seems pretty good otherwise.

One plus point is that the car was supplied without a Micro SD card fitted so the satnav isn't currently working, although the dealer has ordered a replacement, so we should at least have the latest mapping

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Vauxhallman,Difficult to photo as fairly small and camera not happy focusing at short distance, but here goes.

Hope they are of some help.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You welcome, wouldbe interested to know what version the mapping is when you get your card, mine is getting on for two and a half years old now. Perhaps it is time for an update.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You will need 2 of the removal tools in the picture to get the unit out, it might be possible with one but a struggle, when you push it in it compresses a spring (the brass edge you can see) and locks in slightly to give you something to pull on to draw the head unit out the cage.
I fitted a Pioneer Headunit with touch screen in mine and it uses the same locking method and removal tools..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Guess I need to have another look if there should be two, or maybe the garage lost one when they fitted the unit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thought I would add this as it helps with what the brass clip looks like, not the best picture but worth showing.
Edited by: SJG

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I have the tools but i have used a couple of precision screwdrivers to push the clips in. its a bit trickier to pull the unit out while holding the edge of the head unit but it can be done without too much effort..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brilliant, thanks guys, I've got some removal tools ordered now. Will let you know what the latest mapping is when it comes, the garage said it will be about a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I've had the radio out now, and it has a Fakra lead fitted, but the reception is still pretty poor, for the price I'm going to replace the Fakra first and wire it up properly (which this one isn't!).

The garage also sent the map updates..... well, they sent something, only it wasn't a Micro SD card, but a normal SD card, so it doesn't fit. I've looked at the files on the laptop but can't make out whether it's maps or system update. The missus has rang the garage AGAIN, they're not exactly excelling themselves so far

1 - 13 of 13 Posts