Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just developed a high pitch squeal from the rear driver's side wheel.It is intermittent and depends on the speed you are travelling. It sound like the anti squeal shims in the brakes as it stops when you apply the brakes, anyone else had a similar problem?Edited by: vauxhallbitz

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes had the same since new, low speed and to be fair you can only hear it with the window open. Should be a simple fix with a bit of copper grease but I was seeing if it went away as the brakes settled in. Not noticed it since the cold weather (window firmly shut, heater on full
)

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it's stopping under braking then could be the wear warning. Most modern cars have wear warnings on the brakes such that they will make a noise when they're nearing their limit. Worth getting them checked.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
stephenpm said:
If it's stopping under braking then could be the wear warning. Most modern cars have wear warnings on the brakes such that they will make a noise when they're nearing their limit. Worth getting them checked.
I thought that the noise was only under braking.

·
Registered
121 Posts
chrisg said:
I thought that the noise was only under braking.

My Astra made the noise while driving and stopped under braking - got them checked and they were near the limit on the front discs and the pads on all four were almost gone too. Got told the noise was the wear indicator.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No they just checked how much was left on them. The problem with the rear pads is that you need a computer to release the calipers because of the stupid electronic handbrake!!!
One less job that you can do at home.........

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
When I had rear discs and pads changed on a insignia I had before heantara which had a electric hand brake it was done with out a computer .which you don't need you just have to be careful winding the piston back .my local none Vauxhall garage did them only charged £40 labour Edited by: swinton

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would get them greased up, the handbrake works on a set of rear brake shoes inside the rear disc, like a small drum brake so seperate to the actual brake pads, I confess I haven't done it yet but in theory it should be as easy as normal no e-handbrake and I think you could get them out and back in without having to move the piston.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I thought but speaking to a very good mechanic friend he has told me of a few horror stories where people have tried to do it without the computer and ended up with a huge repair bill.

I don't know why Vauxhall persist with this stupid electronic handbrake it causes so many problems and the only advantage is a bit more space between the seats!

I will get them greased but will give the job to a garage to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I must say that I love my e. brake. My previous tow car was a Chrysler grand voyager and the hand brake operated at set of shoes in a drum, same as the Antara, but manually operated. It was
.With a caravan hooked up and on a hill, it was a nightmare. I have covered nearly 30k miles in 18 months and have never had an issue with the hand brake. In fact, when I get in my wife's or daughters car, I try to move off with the hand brake ON

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know this is an old post but I did a long Highlands road trip on saturday and was plagued by this same thing, one rear wheel and one front wheel, different pitch for each but both equally annoying.
Anyone have any wisdom on it?
Touching the brakes stopped it but it just came back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts