Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've dropped a precision screwdriver into the engine bay, it has disappeared out of sight. The engine is running fine and I took the car out and everything was completely normal.

What should I do?

Thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have a good poke around from the top with a strong torch. It's useful if you can get a small mirror on a long handle to help you see. If that doesn't find it, you might want to see if you can get underneath the engine bay and have a feel around on any surface that may have caught the screwdriver. Best if you can get it up on a hydraulic ramp. If you have to go under the car on the ground, don't do it just with a jack, it's too dangerous. Get some axle stands so the car can't squash you if it falls off the jack.
If you're really worried about it, you may want to have a word with your dealer to see if he can help you out.

On a slightly related note, when I was in the Navymany years ago, I was an aircraft mechanic. One of my jobs back then was to search cockpits for dropped tools, nut, bolts etc. The aircraft couldn't fly until the missing items were found. I often had to completely remove the ejector seat in order to find a dropped item. You can imagine, the guy who dropped the tool was not exactly the most popular guy in the squadron.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Hi Brian

It's probably found its way onto the under tray unless itsFallen out when you had it out for a run.

You could try one of those extending magnetic pickup tools if you can get your hands on one. Or it's off with the tray to check.

Or you could just forget about it but if your like me you won't lol.Edited by: Grumps

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Inchindown and Grumps

I've looked everywhere but couldn't see it so one of my friends came over and thinks he can see it in the bottom tray so I've now ordered one of the magnetic reaching poles things from Amazon so it should never happen again.

I couldn't believe it I saw it all happening in slow motion and watched it slowly drop down beside the power steering filler pipe and I just could not reach it so removed the air filter casing but it was just out of reach then stupidly tried one of the litter picker things and it was too bulky and thats what knocked it into the engine part but if its in the tray I don't mind just hoping it is there but I don't think i'll forget about it until i know for sure.

Thinking about poor Inchindown's job trying to find even a lost nut and i think i've got problems lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Inchindown said:
Have a good poke around from the top with a strong torch. It's useful if you can get a small mirror on a long handle to help you see. If that doesn't find it, you might want to see if you can get underneath the engine bay and have a feel around on any surface that may have caught the screwdriver. Best if you can get it up on a hydraulic ramp. If you have to go under the car on the ground, don't do it just with a jack, it's too dangerous. Get some axle stands so the car can't squash you if it falls off the jack.
If you're really worried about it, you may want to have a word with your dealer to see if he can help you out.

On a slightly related note, when I was in the Navymany years ago, I was an aircraft mechanic. One of my jobs back then was to search cockpits for dropped tools, nut, bolts etc. The aircraft couldn't fly until the missing items were found. I often had to completely remove the ejector seat in order to find a dropped item. You can imagine, the guy who dropped the tool was not exactly the most popular guy in the squadron.

My son dropped the pilots oxygen bottle down the back off the ejector seat on a Tornado while getting it ready to take off. He had to buy the riggers a case of beer as they had to work overtime to remove the ejector seat to get it out...

Edited by: Andyk

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it has dropped onto the under tray, try giving it a slap a few times, it may find its way out. Same thing happened to me a few months back. Got underneath car, making sure all safety precautions were taken. Handbrake, wheel chocks, etc. gave the tray a bang and hey presto! Relief!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Andyk said:
Inchindown said:

My son dropped the pilots oxygen bottle down the back off the ejector seat on a Tornado while getting it ready to take off. He had to buy the riggers a case of beer as they had to work overtime to remove the ejector seat to get it out...
Ah, those were the days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts