Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car ran down hill on christmas eve and smashed the back into a lampost, I have had a problem with thismany times I leave my car in gear and when I dip the cluch with hand brake on it rolls out the driveway, my friends car has the same problem and all vauxhall state is always leave the car in gear as that is what the highway code states. Comments please.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Vauxhall are wrong, using their methodology, why fit a handbrake if keeping it in gear is the solution.

Also, when the highway code was written, it was usual to use the gearbox to brake the engine as handbrakes were infamous for falling.

It would fail the MOT if the handbrake fails to hold the car (the old method was 3 clicks, but electronic handbrakes were then invented)

Tell them to have the debate with a local M.O.T testing station and see if they win it!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi

Which version of handbrake do you have the traditional or modern electric. also did it roll away forwards or backwards.

Used to do MOTS a long time ago and the rumour was 3 clicks, it was however as long as handbrake held a vehicle with out undue force as each manufacturer the clicks where different.

Also now it is only tested on rolling road in a forward direction. I know from personal experience on another vehicle that it would work fine forwards but rubbish back so fine pointing downhill but never worked going uphill and that sailed through a MOT.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Not had a problem with the electric hand break on my Antara but I always leave the car in gear anyway. Call me old fashioned.

If it's the electric hand break you have you can pull the switch up twice to apply it with more force. Normally that method is only supposed to be used if your towing a caravan but its worth a try.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If it's the electric hand break you have you can pull the switch up twice to apply it with more force. Normally that method is only supposed to be used if your towing a caravan but its worth a try.

That's worth knowing, as I have a caravan.

Edited by: chrisg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ours stopped being a handbrake, went back to the dealer had to have it readjusted not warranty so bill landed for £100.00 +

Slightly disappointed, do like the car though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts