Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there has anyone installed a chip in there car how easy was it to do , what difference did it make and were did you get it from. Thank you for your help I have a 2011. 2.2 163 hpWith 19,000 miles on Steve

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have had mine fitted three weeks on a 63 plate 2.2 163 manual SE Nav. It is the basic race chip. Easy to fit and has made a big difference to torque and power. Fuel consumption has improved too. Cost £107.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Working on two posts now. Got it from Racechip in Germany. Arrived in two days really easy to fit. Excellent support.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Imo you would be better off with a proper re-map because the add-on chips are very generic.
A re-map often costs less than these chip or diy remap options.

Put it this way, the 'blend' eco/performance remap on the 1.4T Mokka gave us about 35% more of everything giving us about 185bhp from original 140PS and far better mid-range pick up grunt i.e. slightly better than the VXR 1.6T Corsa, with improved economy too because I do not drive like a complete plank. It was tailored to the individual engine and user requirement.

The 184PS Antara may well be having a visit from my remap chap soon because the torque actually drops from 2000rpm to max horses about 3800, imo that can be fixed.

Part of the mpg problem with the Antara is its DPF design. Driving it like a mouse to get max mpg doesn't get the DPF heated up enough to keep it cleared out. The Eco button is for bumbling along the motorway.

Edited by: jefrs

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
A big difference in cost between a bluefin remap and a racechip but if you have the money go for the bluefin. both give very good results and boost in power and torque.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I paid about £250 for SNM to do the Viezu remap and that included support and a form of engine warranty, which you will lose from the manufacturer. Plus they will put it back to standard should you wish. Viezu are a well established company with a Queen's Award.
http://remappingnewbury.co.uk/

I went for a 'blend' remap which is the cross between extra economy and performance. Ultimate top end speed is of no use to me but mid-range grunt is. I ended up with a better performance tune than the top RaceChip Ultimate offers on the Mokka, and better economy too because the Mokka is thirstier than the same 1.4T engine in the Meriva (wife gets 45+mpg there)

You must inform your insurer. My broker got another quote and I ended up paying less (go figure).

edit - I just noticed that if one goes for their 'economy' version about +15% then it does not / should not invalidate the manufacturer's engine warranty. So +15% would take the 184PS up to 212PS.
Worth thinking about? I've already phoned Gary to visit the Antara

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've now had the Viezu remap done on the Antara. List price from Remap Newbury (SNM Group) was £275 for an eco/blend.

It's too soon to assess any mpg improvement but the 184PS is pretty thirsty as stock, it's supposed to be a 15+% improvement, I shall wait and see.

Power and torque increase "at least 15%" which takes it to (calculated) 212PS (210bhp) and 460NM (340-ft.lb). Actually it feels a lot more, possibly the way it's delivered though. I used to drive an old AMG, the big push feels rather like that now except it doesn't go on forever but yes it accelerates up a particular long hill here at much the same pace. I did not go for a full-on performance tune because quite honestly the 184PS doesn't need it, nor do I need an insane ultimate top speed when we have a NSL.

He's improved the shape of the power curve. It's now so smooth and doesn't get out of breath as the revs go up, much more pleasant to drive. This service includes coming back and tailoring it to your needs, or putting it back to factory spec. However they do say that the Eco remap does not invalidate manufacturers engine warranty, and it is insured against damage to the engine.

update - my insurance premium went up by about £30
Hopefully the fuel savings will pay for that. The change to the power curve is very impressive, not that much more power there but it is far more responsive and effortless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Update - I am beginning to see the average nudge over 30mpg, will know better when we've had a couple of tanks full through it. This is slightly better than 15% up from 23mpg (184PS Auto6 4x4)

Further investigation indicates power increase "at least +15%" could be over +30%
Put it this way, previous car was an old AMG estate, the Antara's performance is now "adequate".
But the main improvement is the delivery is now so smooth and does not run out of steam before the up-shift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Did you have to inform your insurance? I am with Hastings and I have been considering a chip tune which I had in my previous VWPassat and found quite useful, but never informed the insurance and I have contated Hastings who tell me that they do not insure cars that have a chip inserved.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anton J B said:
Hi. Did you have to inform your insurance? I am with Hastings and I have been considering a chip tune which I had in my previous VWPassat and found quite useful, but never informed the insurance and I have contated Hastings who tell me that they do not insure cars that have a chip inserved.
Yes I did, on the Mokka the premium went down, on the Antara the premium went up.
As my basic premium is not a lot, it didn't bother me either way.
You must advise your insurers of any modifications.

You must advise your insurers of any modifications or your insurance is invalidated.
Yes I said that twice!

Since last post I've had the chap come back and fit the K&N filter with a more aggressive custom map, so now it's about +35% with some +45bhp on top which translates as something like (184*1.35)+45= 293PS with max torque about 580Nm, in other words more than a healthy petrol V8 puts out. It's a guesstimate, it's not like we have a dyno handy.
The point of the remap is not more grunt but more grunt in the right place to my specifications (it's a custom remap, they do that to suit you), basically it makes it pull away and accelerate as smoothly as a big petrol engine, easy cruising not ultimate top speed (which is daft on our roads).

A big plus is that this method does not invalidate the engine warranty (I double checked that).

The Viezu remap is italian as is the Antara's Fiat-Chrysler VM diesel engine, so they found it quite easy for some reason (perhaps as a lot of their work is mapping original ECUs).
What he does is come to you and read off your map, that gets emailed to Italy where they work on it and send it back to him, he then comes back and makes a backup of the original and installs the new map. It doesn't end there, they will tinker with it until it's right for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts