Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery from eBay of some Wynn's DPF Cleaner, 3 x 325ml bottles for £19 delivered. 1 bottle per every 3 refuels or 3000km (1864 miles) to a minimum of 40 litres of fuel. Larger bundles are available but 3 will keep me going for a while and if I see favourable results I will order it in larger quantities in future.

I believe Halfrauds sell this at £9.99 per bottle so much cheaper on the bay, thankfully my local Halfrauds do not stock it hence me looking online and finding it much cheaper.

I did see somewhere else someone suggesting a Fuel Additives Thread so here you go, fill your boots.

I will keep everyone posted on my experiences with Wynn's.

Cheers!Edited by: TheCoosTail

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a problem with sooting on my last car, I spoke to several car mechanics and all of them told me to stay clear of the common additives. They dont actually clean but reduce the temp the fuel burns at allowing regens to happen at lower temps and more often The additives are oil based so they themselves will leave ash that needs to be burned off. But what I was told to use, a bit more expensive, is BG244. This is a cleaner, it cleans injectors and removes carbon deposits from the regen system. I used it in my last car with instant results. Staying away from supermarket fuels is your best bet and occasionally spending alittle more on BP Ultimate or Shell V Power. I fill up with Bp ultimate every 4th tank and have never had my DPF light come on in the Antara

·
Registered
74 Posts
Having worked for supermarket fuel sites for the last 20 years I can tell you that supermarket fuel does indeed come from the same pipe however each retailer adds their own additives. It's these additives that give the difference in fuels.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've used supermarket fuels, both diesel and petrol, since there has been supermarket petrol stations. In all that time I can honestly say I have never had any problem that could be linked back to supermarket fuel.
There have been surveys which show almost no benefit to buying expensive premium fuels.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fuel additives. Given that America is such a sue-happy country, advertisers have to be able to back up their claims. So shouldn't a DPF additive that makes claims be able to show that these claims are true - STP, Wynn's etc. They should work.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Drivingmad said:
Fuel additives. Given that America is such a sue-happy country, advertisers have to be able to back up their claims. So shouldn't a DPF additive that makes claims be able to show that these claims are true - STP, Wynn's etc. They should work.
They probably have a whole host of get out clauses that will get them off the hook.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Inchindown said:
I've used supermarket fuels, both diesel and petrol, since there has been supermarket petrol stations. In all that time I can honestly say I have never had any problem that could be linked back to supermarket fuel.
There have been surveys which show almost no benefit to buying expensive premium fuels.

Only once i had a problem with a supermarket station when i stayed in Edinburgh a some 20 plus years ago and that was with Sainburys but never since cause i use either Morrisons Asdas or Tesco the independant ones are to expensive ranging from 6 pence more to 10p more per liter

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Could any you gentleman tell me what is the best additive, i have had no probblems with the car except the temp thingy showing that one time but was thinking if it improves the car then why not

·
Registered
74 Posts
Drivingmad said:
They will fall into the same category as manufacturers mpg claims. The " under specific driving conditions clause"
Lol.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well it's been 505 miles since my last regen and 500 since adding the jlm. As you may have guessed I am writing now as she has just gone through another regen, so no real improvements in that area Mpg was an average 38-39 (1-2 mpg up). As last regen was only 188 miles after the previous one it must have helped.
So far it appears to be round one to wynn's. Jlm is supposed to last 10,000 km, so will have to keep monitoring.

Andy

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yet another 500 miles gone and another re-gen arrives & goes. Mpg 38-39 until the regen takes it down to 36. It's now 1,000 miles since adding jlm dpf cleaner with not much results. I won't add anything else to the tank (except fuel of course) until next service in April. If the regens drop again, then I will ask dealer to check the sensor.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dilligaf said:
Yet another 500 miles gone and another re-gen arrives & goes. Mpg 38-39 until the regen takes it down to 36. It's now 1,000 miles since adding jlm dpf cleaner with not much results. I won't add anything else to the tank (except fuel of course) until next service in April. If the regens drop again, then I will ask dealer to check the sensor.

I'm pretty sure the Antara DFP system does not passively regenerate at all. For me it doesn't matter how I drive or what additive I use the regens occur at 500 miles regardless. That tells us that the system will regenerate regardless of whether it needs to or not.
I suppose this is what VX deem normal & it's "keeping it clean"?

·
Registered
782 Posts
♠ChumBucket♠ said:
Dilligaf said:

I'm pretty sure the Antara DFP system does not passively regenerate at all. For me it doesn't matter how I drive or what additive I use the regens occur at 500 miles regardless. That tells us that the system will regenerate regardless of whether it needs to or not.
I wish we could find a person who could tell us exactly how the VX DPF system works. Some of the time it doesn't seem to make sense.

I have a feeling it's something to do with engine running hours rather than a fixed 500 mile interval or the amount of soot in the filter. The soot load doesn't seem to come into the mix until you start getting the warning lights.I have some variation in regen interval, so it can't be a fixed mileage interval. My regens have variedbetween 510 and 526 miles.

One thing is certain, there will be no significant changes to the Antara DPF system any time soon. The best that can be hoped for is the new Antara will have a more efficient system when it comes out in a couple of years time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Inchindown said:
♠ChumBucket♠ said:
Dilligaf said:

I wish we could find a person who could tell us exactly how the VX DPF system works. Some of the time it doesn't seem to make sense.

I have a feeling it's something to do with engine running hours rather than a fixed 500 mile interval or the amount of soot in the filter. The soot load doesn't seem to come into the mix until you start getting the warning lights.I have some variation in regen interval, so it can't be a fixed mileage interval. My regens have variedbetween 510 and 526 miles.

One thing is certain, there will be no significant changes to the Antara DPF system any time soon. The best that can be hoped for is the new Antara will have a more efficient system when it comes out in a couple of years time.

Yes, mine are "around" 500 miles most of the time, between 500 & 520. However, I had a full regen then went on a 180 mile, all motorway journey & it started another regen 2 miles after leaving the motorway- work that one out!!

The most economical regen is on the motorway in my experience as you can still keep a half descent mpg up the whole time. The worst is when it regens & it's inconvenient to continue till it finishes. So the next time it starts again & so on. It's this scenario that can really consume fuel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Euro VI. As you can see from the table below copied from Wikipedia. Euro VI is due next autumn. I am not sure butcould this have a separate tank for an additive which is injected into the exhaust as do current new HGV's.

European emission standards for passenger cars (Category M*), g/km<table ="wikitable"><t><tr style=": rgb236, 236, 236;" id="cars" =""><th>Tier</th><th>Date</th><th>CO</th><th>THC</th><th>NMHC</th><th>NO<sub>x</sub></th><th>HC+NO<sub>x</sub></th><th>PM</th><th>P***</th></tr><tr><td ="hi" colSpan="7">Diesel</td></tr><tr><td>Euro 1†</td><td>July 1992</td><td>2.72 (3.16)</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>0.97 (1.13)</td><td>0.14 (0.18)</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>Euro 2</td><td>January 1996</td><td>1.0</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>0.7</td><td>0.08</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>Euro 3</td><td>January 2000</td><td>0.64</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>0.50</td><td>0.56</td><td>0.05</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>Euro 4</td><td>January 2005</td><td>0.50</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>0.25</td><td>0.30</td><td>0.025</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>Euro 5</td><td>September 2009</td><td>0.50</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>0.180</td><td>0.230</td><td>0.005</td><td>-</td></tr><tr><td>Euro 6 (future)</td><td>September 2014</td><td>0.50</td><td>-</td><td>-</td><td>0.080</td><td>0.170</td><td>0.005</td><td>-</td></tr></t></table>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts