Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First long tow done with the new Antara - total tow distance 253 miles.<br style="margin-top: 0px; color: rgb20, 20, 20; font-family: Tahoma, Georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; : rgb249, 249, 249;">The whole journey was motorway/A Road from Chesterfield to Torbay<br style="color: rgb20, 20, 20; font-family: Tahoma, Georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; : rgb249, 249, 249;">MPG achieved = 22.8 Travelling time = 5 hours 40 minutes with 2 short stops.<br style="color: rgb20, 20, 20; font-family: Tahoma, Georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; : rgb249, 249, 249;">I found the changing up and down a strange experience. Considering it is 184bhp Automatic I would have expected it to stay in 6th gear most of the way, falling to 5th gear now and then. In 6th gear it runs at 1500 rpm at 66mph, which is probably why it changed down such a lot. We were averaging around 55 mph. It changed down to 4th at the slightest incline, with the wind direction behind us. This obviously brought down the mpg to under 20 mpg while it was doing so. For quite some time I was averaging 24.6mpg but it suddenly dropped to 22.8mpg and stayed there for no apparent reason. I think it could be that filter emptying itself. Having said that the tow was solid, the caravan never moved from the central line. The car was very much in control of the 26 foot, 1600kg it was towing. The driving position was good with plenty of minor adjustment in the steering wheel to stop neck or shoulder strain.<br style="color: rgb20, 20, 20; font-family: Tahoma, Georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; : rgb249, 249, 249;">Overall verdict - when I get over not getting 32mpg like I did with the Mondeo I will have the almost perfect tow-car, a credit to Vauxhall and underestimated in the motoring world.



Edited by: JaG5553
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Hi,

Great to hear your car did ok! I have the 148bhp 2.0 Diesel lump with the 5 speed Auto box. I have to say I was very impressed pulling my 1200kg van. It stayed in 5th most of the time even up a slight incline but I ocasionally popped her back into 4th on steeper slopes!

I'd say 6th gear would be ok on a flat, but I'd prob be inclined to use 5th. I towed with our old Qashqai in 6th and it was a bit too much. But in 5th I could do 60 uphill no probs and overtake everything :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
JaG5553,

I have just sent you a message on the "other" forum.
See you have already found your way across.


Mat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
My antara auto also tow,s like a a dream. i previously ran a discovery but i have to say this is a more stable tow and being automatic lesws stressful even if i do only get 19mpg but then it is 1500kg of german van.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Sparkieb said:
i previously ran a discovery but i have to say this is a more stable tow .
I also had a Discovery before my Antaras.
A 2002 facelift TD5 Auto GS.
I agree that the Antara is a more stable ride when towing.

Mat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got home from 10 days away. The towing consisted ofChesterfield to Torquay = 253 miles = 22.8mpg
Torquay to Swansea = 165 miles = 20.7mpg
Swansea to Chesterfield = 225 miles = 20.9mpg


Throughout the various journeys I tried all different combinations to see if I could get more mpg and none of them made any difference at all. Cruise Control actually used slightly more because it kept changing down too low a gear, using it on manual for 100 miles made no difference at all, driving at 50mph, 55mph and 60mph over 100 miles for each also made no difference of note.


What a towcar though. It never faltered at all and would accelerate up hill, even on Telegraph Hill it was cruising easily at 55mph and would probably have gone to 60mph if I had wanted. It was much more solid and positive than the Mondeo I had before. There was no movement of the caravan whatsoever, even when I inadvertently went a few mmph over 60mph for a short spell overtaking a car transporter (hate them due to turbulance). Am I happy with it? You bet I am.
Looking forward to trying solo runs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
What has happened to the "towing" section ?

Is no one taking their caravan out on the bank holiday ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from a long weekend away. Straightforward tow from Chesterfield to Aylesbury via M1. Traffic was good both ways. On the way down we took it real steady at 50 - 55 mph and got 23.8 mpg. On the way back we stayed at 55 - 60 mph as the motorway was really quiet, even though it was a Bank Holiday and we got 20.9 mpg.I think one of the problems with mpg is the auto gearbox settings. The engine turns over at 1800 rpm at 60 mph when in 6th gear. This is unrealistic when towing as it rarely gets into 6th. This means it is running in 5th most of the time. I have tried the manual side in 6th but this does not work either. Put you foot down in 6th and the revs go up to 3000 rpm. Now that would not happen on a manual so why does it happen on the semi auto, makes it a total waste of time.
If the gearbox is electronic can't it be reprogrammed to give it better mpg, especially when towing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
JaG5553 said:
Just got back from a long weekend away. Straightforward tow from Chesterfield to Aylesbury via M1. Traffic was good both ways. On the way down we took it real steady at 50 - 55 mph and got 23.8 mpg. On the way back we stayed at 55 - 60 mph as the motorway was really quiet, even though it was a Bank Holiday and we got 20.9 mpg.I think one of the problems with mpg is the auto gearbox settings. The engine turns over at 1800 rpm at 60 mph when in 6th gear. This is unrealistic when towing as it rarely gets into 6th. This means it is running in 5th most of the time. I have tried the manual side in 6th but this does not work either. Put you foot down in 6th and the revs go up to 3000 rpm. Now that would not happen on a manual so why does it happen on the semi auto, makes it a total waste of time.
If the gearbox is electronic can't it be reprogrammed to give it better mpg, especially when towing.

Are you saying that it is better to tow in 5th ?
I always use the manual side of the auto box when towing, and would be interested in your thoughts.


Mat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
did you try using the eco button as this sets the gear box into basically half a higher gear. like overdrive on older cars.i know i have tried it with the car only .but find it only usefull on m/ways in conjunction with the cruise control.it stops it over fueling for split seconds that u would use fuel if driving it yourself.all these seconds add up over time and give a better mpg. i have noticed that in this mode it sort of pulses the throttle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
smino said:
did you try using the eco button

The owners manual states NOT to use eco whilst towing.
Shame as this is the closest you will get to low range, in that higher revs for lower speed, thus preventing wheel spin.
I have used eco in the snow in this and my previous 2009 Antara, so would not hesitate to use it for a short period, such as dragging the caravan off a muddy field.


Mat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
how much mpg do u get without the van on the back.? how many miles have you donein the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I do the towing and the parking up of our 26ft caravan with the Antara. First time ot was fantastic. Tows like a dream! Came to park up, on the flat, only reversed the caravan approx 10yrds to park it. Got ot of the car and there was a terrible burning smell! We were concerned and was thinking about taking it back to the dealers. Sounds like a few people have had the same problem!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
trish said:
only reversed the caravan approx 10yrds to park it. Got ot of the car and there was a terrible burning smell! We were concerned and was thinking about taking it back to the dealers.

3 things spring to mind


1) if it is a manual then you were slipping the clutch
2) was the smelldefinitelyfrom the car or were the caravans brakes binding
3) the car was in the middle of doing a dpf regen


mat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
trish said:
I do the towing and the parking up of our 26ft caravan with the Antara. First time ot was fantastic. Tows like a dream! Came to park up, on the flat, only reversed the caravan approx 10yrds to park it. Got ot of the car and there was a terrible burning smell! We were concerned and was thinking about taking it back to the dealers. Sounds like a few people have had the same problem!

Hi Trish and firstly welcome along to the forum



What was the approximate mileage of your Antara when this happened ?


There are quite a few members who have experienced exactly the same thing that you have described and it has been during the car's "DPF Regenerations".


Just recently two or three of us have posted up that our car's regeneration are taking place every 515 miles so you can perhaps use that as a guide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Hi allTaking the caravan from Bristol side all the way to Anglesey this weekend for the week.
My Antara is the 2012 2.2 Exclusive Auto. Caravan is a 1991 Compass Rallye GTE 2 Berth.
My towbar is a towsuredetachable with 13 pin elecs.
The only towing I have done with it so far is from the caravan storage to the house and back, (approx 6 miles).
Onaverage, what will I be expecting on the MPG? Last time I went to Anglesey, I did not have the caravan and I averaged just about 39 MPG.


I will be taking notes of my trip up and will post them on here. (with pics if you want).
The last car I had on this trip with caravan was a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6D Semi auto, and she was quite good on fuel.
Just wonder if anyone can give me some heads up on the MPG on the Antara with caravan on long trek please?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top