Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car into the dealer's for its first service this morning. No issues and clean bill of health. Asked them to look at the sticking door lock I have previously posted about, but they found nothing wrong with. That may be because I sprayed it with some WD40 which seems to ease the problem. Anyway they put some extra grease in the mechanism, so lets hope it doesn't happen again.

A quick comment related to the thread on oil changes. In the year since I got the car, I have not had to add any oil and the dipstick showednear the max markfor the whole year.

When I picked up the car I made a point of asking if there had been any updates made to the car and was told there were no updates. I'm not entirely sure this is true.

On the ride home, it seemed to me the gears were changing at lower revs. So I was cruising at under 55 mph in 6th gear and the engine was not strugglingand throwing me into another gear like it used to do. Before the service, I could barely use 6th gear at 60 mph. Not done enough miles since the service to see if anything else has changed. Will be interested to see if there is any difference to the next DPF regen. Not holding my breath on that one though.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That's what I could not understand Innch in all my life I have never had to add oil to a brand new car before it's service my husband says it must be a crap engine if it burning oil like that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It really isnt unusual to use that much oil, as I said previously VW group engines are known to use much more than that in a year, so I really wouldn't let it worry you, its just the way it is. There will always be variations in oil use in different examples of the same engine, so even though your husbands car has the same engine (although probably in a different state of tune) doesnt necessarily mean they will use exactly the same amount of oil. The way they are used also effects oil consumption, lots of stop/start or short journeys will use more oil than someone who uses it for the equivalent mileage but for longer runs.

Don't worry about it, unless there is oil on the drive or it is belching out the back, you're all good!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Phil S said:
It really isnt unusual to use that much oil, as I said previously VW group engines are known to use much more than that in a year, so I really wouldn't let it worry you, its just the way it is. There will always be variations in oil use in different examples of the same engine, so even though your husbands car has the same engine (although probably in a different state of tune) doesnt necessarily mean they will use exactly the same amount of oil. The way they are used also effects oil consumption, lots of stop/start or short journeys will use more oil than someone who uses it for the equivalent mileage but for longer runs.

Don't worry about it, unless there is oil on the drive or it is belching out the back, you're all good!
I am not worried as I said if anything went wrong it Vauxhalls problem or get rid off it, hubby does 70 mile a day when he is at work, his Chevrolet is worked better than mine but recently I have had used my Antara for longer journeys in and out of Glasgow as my big sis is in the Beatson just now, so the white charger is charging up and down the motorway at record blasting speeds because I have to put a feather up my bum to get from A to B for a certain time to pick my wee daughter up

·
Registered
103 Posts
wilma08 said:
Phil S said:

I am not worried as I said if anything went wrong it Vauxhalls problem or get rid off it, hubby does 70 mile a day when he is at work, his Chevrolet is worked better than mine but recently I have had used my Antara for longer journeys in and out of Glasgow as my big sis is in the Beatson just now, so the white charger is charging up and down the motorway at record blasting speeds because I have to put a feather up my bum to get from A to B for a certain time to pick my wee daughter up

You have prob been asked before, but which do you think is the better car (looks aside)the Chevrolet or the Vauxhall? Being from the same factory, with the same engines and many shared parts, I know there will be huge similarities, but are there any stand out differences that you prefer from one or the other?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Phil S said:
wilma08 said:
Phil S said:

You have prob been asked before, but which do you think is the better car (looks aside) the Chevrolet or the Vauxhall? Being from the same factory, with the same engines and many shared parts, I know there will be huge similarities, but are there any stand out differences that you prefer from one or the other?
It's hard to say hubby's car will be 2 years old at the end of April, he feels the same as me that the Antara is a tighter ride both seem to have rust on the tail gate his is getting fixed on the 17 March 2014. Mine is getting fixed in May when it gets serviced, my husband thinks the Captiva's dashboard is better laid out I feel the same, but the Antara seems to have a better hight in the drivers seat his is lower down he likes the 19 inch wheels, I like his third row of seats so does he ( although he is the only one allowed in his car now, it smells lovely and looks lovely inside no wet smelly dug or daughter hehe ) we both like the style of the Captiva it's chunky and rugged at the front and looks great with side steps, the gearbox is just the same and so is the engine but I would say mine excellerates faster some how, he has never seen any regens been done or noticed any ( it must be all in the background) I just could not justify getting a Captiva because I wanted a white car.
So to cut a long story short,
The Captiva looks better
It has seven seats
You never know when a regen is happening
I like the alloys
The dashboard layout and it's colour.
As for the Antara
I love the better position of the drivers seat
19 inch wheels
The tighter ride
The excellaratin .
What we both heat is the rust problem
And although I have never had problems with the DPF I think the Antaras should be like the Captiva and be in the background ( I think it's called a passive regen)
If Chevrolet was not leaving Europe my husband would have purchased another and that is a very rare occasion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Having both cars as well, though Antara is petrol and "base" trim, I would largely echo Wilma's points.

To add

Captiva

Keyless entry and start

Interior mood lighting

Reversing camera

"Captiva" lights up on front door sill plates (daft I know)

Indicator side repeater in wing mirror

EDIT - Would also add:

Cruise control controls on steering wheel

Twinrhomboid chrome exhaust pipes

Integrated reflector/rear fogs (Antara's circle reflectors seem anincongrous after-thought)

Antara

Smoother power delivery (no FI punch). Though it is slower than the Capster

Ride - being 17s with more tyre sidewall I think it rides the bumps/potholes better than the rubber band 19s on the Cappy

Driver's seat seems more comfy

3 settings for the heated seats

EDIT - Thicker rim to the steering wheel (feels more substantial)

Would agree that most regens in Captiva are unnoticed. Only time I know it's trying to do one is if it doesn't complete on Friday evening drive home; it doesn't get driven far at the weekend so spends rest of weekend trying to run a regen ( I cba going for an Italian tune up knowing it'll get a long run on Mon morning).
Edited by: Pinkie15

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So how do you know when the Captiva is doing a regen or not complete one Pinki

The only problem with keyless entry is when one is driving the car but the other one has the keys in there pockets and walks away and a wee sigh comes on with a flashing key telling you it's out of range lol say no more about that.( it always happened with the Nissan Pathfinder)
We both prefer the 19 inch wheels that are on the Antara as we feel it absorbs the bumps and potholes better than the Captiva as my husband has the LT model Edited by: wilma08

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting. Too late now as I have ordered an Antara (primarily due to lifetime warranty & Chevrolet leaving Europe, with its inevitable effect on residuals), but was just curious. On the positive side, you must have liked thefirstone to buy essentially the (almost) same car again!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Phil S said:
Interesting. Too late now as I have ordered an Antara (primarily due to lifetime warranty & Chevrolet leaving Europe, with its inevitable effect on residuals), but was just curious. On the positive side, you must have liked the first one to buy essentially the (almost) same car again!
I did like the look of the Captiva before the Antara I would have went for the LTZ which we should have done in the first place but we had made a mistake due to the wrong advice given by Arnold Clark we could have got the LTZ just for £2000 more but by the time we hard ordered our car over the phone with Pentigeon in Barnsley it was to late to change the order. My only bug bare was the color as I wanted white and hubby wanted black, I just could not justify buying a new chevrolet under those grounds although I would have liked to. as Chevrolet are leaving europe he won't buy an othere one, he was looking into it before that news.

·
Registered
77 Posts
wilma08 said:
So how do you know when the Captiva is doing a regen or not complete one Pinki

Whilst driving there'sno indication when the Captiva is doing a regen. I know when it hasn't completed one because the fan runs on like a jet engine when I switch ignition off and there's that acrid burning smell.

Oh yes, love the Captiva.

Then a few weeks ago the Corolla Verso we have hadfor 11 yrs (was a 9 mo ex-demo when we got her), has hit the point of BER; largely because of impending clutch failure. Now I'm reasonably ok wielding the spanners, but a clutch replacement is probably beyond me.

So suddenly in market for an upto 1 yr old vehicle only 4 months after splashing out on Cappy.

Would have got another Captiva, but even with the deal available on LTZ's from Chevvy, can't afford 20-odd grand (again). Not worried by collapsing Chevvy residuals because we'llrun ourcars for 10-odd years (fingers crossed), by which time lack of Chevvy name in W Europe won't affect it's value anyway.

Having three kids we need elbow room across the back seats. The missus has taken to SUVs in a big way (more than me). So a "car" was too narrow and too low. We looked at the Trax (deals making it a lot cheaper than a Mokka, and having test driven before we think the Trax rides better than the Mokka), but couldn't justify 15-16k on another car so soon. A few 4WD Antara's at that price as well.

Then stumbled upon the9 mo ex-demo petrol Antara in Wimbledon for a bit under 13k and got her (was by far the cheapest upto 1 yr old SUV of any marque anywhere on the net). We're not worried about mpg, or lack of. Anna is our local "run around" so will do 6 - 8k miles/yr. With that mileageit wouldtake at least 8 yrs until the diesel starts saving money cf the petrol.

Phil S said:
... (primarily due to lifetime warranty & ...

I remain to be convinced on this and don't set much store by it. Why ? Because VX only provide this to the first owner, no transfer to subsequent owners (even for demo's that get sold on). To my mind means they don't expect the car to last 10 yrs and know that 90-95% won't keep car longer than 6 - 7 yrs. With ex-demo cars both Kia and Hyundai start their long warranties when you purchase the vehicle, which to me means they actually set some store by their warranties.

Inchindown - Sorry for thread hijack.
Edited by: Pinkie15

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mine is an ex demo and is covered by the Lifetime Warranty,made sure before I bought it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
cadds said:
Mine is an ex demo and is covered by the Lifetime Warranty,made sure before I bought it.

Mmm, interesting that. We asked and asked the dealer, but they said definitely not, only comes with balance of three year warranty.

Though did "log" car on the VX website and has hyperlinked text for reactiviating the 10 yr warranty (but nothing happens when you click and doesn't point to a URL).

Will have to try VX customer service at some point.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They are defo, covered by the warranty if purchasedfrom a VX dealer that has used it as a courtesy or demo, it is less than a year old and done under 10k miles. I have discussed it with the dealer on several occasions.Initially VX didnt want t do it, but when the dealers said they would no longer pre register cars as they would be disadvantaged, VX relented. It is of course down to the dealers discretion, they aren't obliged to offer it, as some dealers will sell the car for less initially, knowing that they can recoup somecosts through repairs later on.
Edited by: Phil S

·
Registered
103 Posts
well, I can assure you that is true. Dealers only get paid a standard labour rate for warranty work and would prefer a higher rate for repairs, that is why they are not obliged to offer the lifetime warranty. Believe it or not, but that is the way it is. Lifetime warranties ARE available on nearly new cars that meet the criteria, and anyone that tells you otherwise is quite frankly a liar!

·
Registered
103 Posts
That may very well have been the case, but it aint anymore! As I said they relented, because dealers stopped pre registering carsdue to them then being disadvantaged. Just take a look on Autotrader, you will see cars listed as having a Lifetime warranty.

I have no axe to grind here, I am just telling it like it is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts