when checking the firing order ?
any other belts i have fitted number one cylinder is at the timing belt end
hopefully someone can help
and thank you
paul

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
hi i have a 2008 antara 2.0 engine code z20 dmh, i am going to fit a timing belt on it etc ,but i have been looking at a few videos on how to time them up , i have mechanical back ground but when i check the videos and after the timing tools have been fitted ,the engine valves on the cylinder nearest the timing belt are in the open position and the cylinder nearest the gearbox the valves are closed ,doe this mean the cylinder nearest the gearbox is number one cylinder when checking the firing order?
any other belts i have fitted number one cylinder is at the timing belt end hopefully someone can help and thank you
paul
Most engines have No 1 cylinder at the pulley end but some don’t eg Renault and not always so it depends. It seems you’ve just established that No 1 cylinder on this engine is at the flywheel end. If you’ve got the crankshaft timing pin properly fitted and the camshaft locking tool in place then you’re set up and ready to go.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2 no matter which end is No 1.

According to what you say, the camshaft lobes for the No 4 cylinder are ‘on the rock’ (ie exhaust closing and inlet opening) then its mating cylinder (No 1) at the other end is TDC on compression stroke and ready to begin the power stroke.

You can check the firing order by further turning the engine over. After No 1 the next cylinder to fire is No 3 so the next set of valves to go ‘on the rock’ should be No 2 indicating that No 3 is at TDC on compression stroke. You can then go on and check No 4 and No 2 cylinders follow in the right firing order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most engines have No 1 cylinder at the pulley end but some don’t eg Renault and not always so it depends. It seems you’ve just established that No 1 cylinder on this engine is at the flywheel end. If you’ve got the crankshaft timing pin properly fitted and the camshaft locking tool in place then you’re set up and ready to go.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2 no matter which end is No 1.

According to what you say, the camshaft lobes for the No 4 cylinder are ‘on the rock’ (ie exhaust closing and inlet opening) then its mating cylinder (No 1) at the other end is TDC on compression stroke and ready to begin the power stroke.

You can check the firing order by further turning the engine over. After No 1 the next cylinder to fire is No 3 so the next set of valves to go ‘on the rock’ should be No 2 indicating that No 3 is at TDC on compression stroke. You can then go on and check No 4 and No 2 cylinders follow in the right firing order.
hi victor thanks for reply
i would agree with what
you a said
thank you very much
paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts