Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what brand of oil the factory put in the Antara?

I have asked before in another thread but the question was never really answered and I would like to know, I like to keep to the same brand for topping up if needed. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Dexos2 is the grade recommended and is reasonably priced if you shop around dealers I bought litre from Arnold Clark for £27 I think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all while driving to work yesterday a light appeared on the dash a spanner and a oil can in yellow but went off after a few seconds but when i first start the car it comes on for a few seconds then goes off again my Antara has done 10'855 miles i have had the car since October 2013 new with 4 miles on the clock looking at the hand book the warning light is the engine oil life monitor and this indicates that the oil has diminished so the oil needs changing and must be done within 600 miles or engine power may be decreased .I phoned Arnold clark Glenrothes and talked to a very nice lady called Amanda this morning and and asked her how much for an oil and fillter change for my Antara they say the Antara needs its first service as its over a year old as they go by the build date not the first registration date. I just wanted to find out from the forum if this is correct what Arnold clark at Glenrothes are telling me i don't have a problem getting the Antara its first service if this is the correct information they are telling me . But i do have to ask the Question with the Antara first registered in October last year and in my possession for only 10 months and with barely 11'000 is this correct ???????????.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No this is not correct, the service intervals are calculated on time from first registration / sale at 12 month intervals or mileage which ever comes first, it is possible that the oil has become contaminated with fuel after regenerations that were interrupted without you knowing and this is the cause of the light, I believe you would have to have an interim service now but you will have to ask for very clear clarity on what happens at the actual 12 month time (from when you bought the car) as you might then have to have the main service as we'll to keep the warranty, as daft as that might be ..

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
If it was preregistered by Arnold Clark that is the date they will be going with not the date you bought it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi SJG this is exactly my thoughts to i will have to go and speak to the service manager and tell him my worry's

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Grumps the Antara was definitely registered in October last year i even got to pick the registration number and even on the log book it says first registration in October 2013 very strange i think ???

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sounds like Arnold Clark trying to get your custom for 1st service, shop around for prices.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
kenny said:
Hi Grumps the Antara was definitely registered in October last year i even got to pick the registration number and even on the log book it says first registration in October 2013 very strange i think ???
Very strange usually they have to keep them a month or two before they can sell them on thats the deal when they buy them from VX. The Glenrothes branch is not a main VX dealer they are masterfit approved but only sell used or prereg models. Peter Vardy is the main VX dealer for the area but Arnold is trying their best to outsell them.

I got the same type of deal on a Corsa from Arnold. The other VX dealers cant compete with Arnolds buying power and deals that they get from VX. I know from speaking to them they just give up trying to compete when you mention the prices you get quoted from Arnold.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My oil light came on 2 months before the annual service. I had the oil and filter change done locally and reset the indicator using the requisite clutch pressing routine. The oil was changed again at the annual service, despite it being only 8 weeks old!
-LaZ-

·
Registered
39 Posts
this is the email i received from vauxhall customer care after asking the above questionDear Kenny
I am writing with reference to your email received on 23 July 2014 regarding the service date for your Vauxhall Antara, registration number **63 ***.
The service becomes due on the anniversary date of the first registration of your vehicle. As the registration date of your vehicle is 1st October 2013, your first service would become due on 1st October 2014.
I hope this clarifies matters for you, however, should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0800 026 0034 quoting the above reference number.
Yours sincerely
Diane *****
Customer Care Manager
Vauxhall Customer Care

Vauxhall respects your privacy and will not share your information with third parties for their independent use. However, for data processing reasons we may have to share some of your personal data with affiliated GM companies and service providers that may be located outside the European Economic Area. Any data transfers will be carried out in line with applicable laws.

If you are unhappy with any of the aspects above please telephone our Customer Care Centre (0800 026 0034), during office hours quoting the case number and one of our consultants will be able to assist.

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've read this thread and no one has checked whether it just needs topping up.
That puts the oil lamp on too. All engines use oil up.

Did no one use the dipstick?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Grumps said:
Dexos2 is the grade recommended and is reasonably priced if you shop around dealers I bought litre from Arnold Clark for £27 I think.
I assume you meant 5 litres.
Even so that's a bit steep, it's not Mobil-1 (which /is/ Dexos-2 approved) ;-)

All engines do consume oil.
Mine needed topping up as it was off the bottom of the dipstick. I called into Eden Newbury to check which flavour and they sold me a 5 litre Vx Dexos 2. I later found I needed to add just over half a litre.

I cannot remember how much I paid but I really don't think I would have parted with £27 because I have sufficient other good oils in the shed, or I would have taken a smaller bottle from them.

Dipstick should be checked every week or so.

Edited by: jefrs

·
Registered
137 Posts
kenny said:
this is the email i received from vauxhall customer care after asking the above questionDear Kenny
I am writing with reference to your email received on 23 July 2014 regarding the service date for your Vauxhall Antara, registration number **63 ***.
The service becomes due on the anniversary date of the first registration of your vehicle. As the registration date of your vehicle is 1st October 2013, your first service would become due on 1st October 2014.<snip>
Eden Vauxhall told me they go by the service interval-o-meter in the cars, and only that.

They have a good idea when this will become due and send us reminders but it does mean it can occur before or beyond the one year mark.

My '62 plate was reg in Jan13 so I expect it got 1st service in Jan14 (I got it at Easter 2014) and is due its second 'annual' around Jan15 - but the dates are not engraved in stone, they reply on the engine service interval-o-meter thing.

I queried this because I thought it needed an oil change from inspecting the oil. It was low, it was black and it was not long since its 1st service. Since that top-up above we've had an extra mini-service plus oil and filter change when they did the starter motor recall (imo the car was not at Eden's when 1st was due and it got skimped). Oil is clean now.

Black indicates the detergents in the oil doing their job and are picking up carbon and stuff, translucent is ok but thick black is nbg, it is supposed to be honey coloured. Eventually the moving metal parts of the engine will chop the long chain hydrocarbon oil up into shorter molecules and the oil becomes thin and 'watery' to the touch, the oil is worn out irrespective of any service/wear indication/timer. In a former job I worked as a polymer chemist.
If you are making your engine work a bit harder by towing or lead foot, then you might think about switching to 6-monthly oil changes.

What happens in practice is I ring them up and tell them it needs service and they send a chap out to collect the motor, or if we need transport they provide a courtesy. I try to pick a day when we don't want to go motoring and they send the monkey-moped-man.

Edited by: jefrs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts