Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is anything to be concerned about but i have a 3 week old Antara 2.2 diesel with 700 miles on the clock and after driving it home from work these last couple of days (this particular drive is only about 8 miles) the engine fan has come on after parking it up in the drive.

I am thinking that it is fairly cold outside and a relatively short journey, is this normal? I would expect the fan to come on in a car middle of a hot summer after a decent run.

Thanks

cliff

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's normal, welcome to the world of modern euro 5 Diesel engines.
Search DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) on this forum and it'll tell you all you need to know!
Nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hi Cliff and welcome to the forum, my fan comes on all the time, and I don't worry about it it I have had my car since new May 2013 is SE Nav 184 auto, It also happens to my husbands Chevroet Captivia and he has had his since new on our child's birthday April 2012 we have had no problems with them.
Other forum members might fell differently than me though, I just drive and enjoy my car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like i am not alone then and thanks for the welcome. The Antara is coming in handy at the moment as I live on the Devon/Somerset boarder....just driving through a lot of the flooding!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine did same thing just after delivery but soon settled down. The fan running is probably the DPF requiring a regen(clean out) as its not had anything but start/stop runs from production. Give it a 20min blast down a motorway at 70mph and it should be OK.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum . As the guys have said the fan is a sign of a DPF regeneration. These are a bit erratic and frequent for the first few thousand miles then it should settle down to every 500miles. You might also get a strong burning smell but don't worry too much about it it will get better.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Diamond Dave said:
Mine did same thing just after delivery but soon settled down. The fan running is probably the DPF requiring a regen(clean out) as its not had anything but start/stop runs from production. Give it a 20min blast down a motorway at 70mph and it should be OK.

Exactly what I was going to write

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am so glad this thread is on here, I noticed a burning smell yesterday and the fan cut in this morning after a short journey after I parked up on the drive. Menu thanks for all who have contributed to this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
lyjodigby said:
I am so glad this thread is on here, I noticed a burning smell yesterday and the fan cut in this morning after a short journey after I parked up on the drive. Menu thanks for all who have contributed to this thread.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the thumbs up

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it's doing a regen, it's best to try to let it finish if you can. Then reset your trip and you will start to be able to anticipate when the next is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts