Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , Had a intermittent hand brake hill holding fault , which dealer diagnosed as the motor fault. Bearing in mind my antara is 18 months old and now 8k on clock , i am wondering if this as been experienced by other antara owners ? I purchased this from a vauxhall main dealer as a Q car so covered for replacement , but question hovers in mind is this a common fault . Car held on mediocre slopes , but not more steeper ones , on a intermittent basis .
Dutch .

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi, I have been on this forum for about a year and never heard of this before. My brake is actually very effective. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I love it. My wife's car is a Chrysler grand voyager and the hand brake is totally cr*p. Towing my caravan was a nightmare on inclines, especially in traffic.I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Dutch

I had a simular problem. My handbrake switch/motor had packed up within a year. Basically i couldnt put my handbrake on when the car was running, but when i switched the car off the handbrake automatically came on. Spoke to the garage and they had to take the switch out and replace it. It cost vauxhall over £1000 to fix!! They had to strip my car down to get to all the wires to then be able to replace the switch. Im glad mine is in warranty!!
Its all working fine now.

I cant fault vauxhall for their service when its come to fixing faults.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi crisg and mrantara , Thanks for your reply and info ref handbrake ,much appreciated . Antara in today for handbrake motor change , done under guarantee , but i found out cost of motor £795 , so hopefully in future a after market spare will be cheaper .
Dutch .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all , Handbrake motor now changed and works o.k , tried on a 1 in 6 hill and o.k . I asked around at the dealers on 4 seperate occasions and 4 different staff and all said its the first one they have come across with this fault and the same system is on astra and insignia since 2008 . And i have got to say the dealer which is DANTRE GARAGE in daventry were first class in investigating the initial fault which was intermittant and not always obvious . But they picked up on it and were quick to fix it and absolutely no hassle done under warranty. I cant praise DANTRE enough .
dutch .

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems you're not alone with this issue, I've just had my 12 month old Antara in to Arnold Clark because the handbrake released itself when my wife unlocked the boot with the keyfob. The car was on an inclined car park and nearly rolled into another car, my mother in law had to hold onto it while the handbrake was re-applied. The garage said they couldn't find any fault but they did a 'software update'. I suspect this is a standard answer if they don't know what's wrong! It would be interesting to know if anybody else has had a similar issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts