Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the door/wing mirror actuator motor is available on its own or do I have to buy a full mirror? If it is, any idea of price?
Today some nice person (to55er!) took my drivers side mirror off. I collected all the bits and started a reassemble by torchlight, thought I was going to get away with it but the little ball thingy in the middle that the mirror pivots on has snapped off, glass and cover survived so I don't want to have to buy a full mirror if I can help it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Almost certain that the broken piece is not antara specific (unlike mirror and outer casing) a friendly breaker may be able to advise on which other, common, cars have the same innards in the mirror, and let you have one cheap with broken glass or casing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There was a young chap around here who enjoyed kicking mirrors off of cars. Needless to say I got stung about £400 for a replacement from Benz because that one not only moved and folded, it demisted, was self-dimming and had position memory too. The old AMG finally went BER when all the ECU's failed: money pit.

Before he destroyed it I had laboriously repaired it my self. There's like twenty tiny wires inside that had to be re-soldered or replaced plus a mechanical fix. I can do this stuff but it takes ages and I'm not cheap. Factor in my labour and overheads and yeah, probably worth £400 to fix it. So this time I cut my losses and bought a new one.

The scrap yard (eBay nowadays) is an option but usually no better condition than the one you have. No idea of the price of the Vx unit but if you factor in your time and effort, usually cheapest and least effort to replace with new, plus certainty of it working first time right.

·
Registered
213 Posts
We had the wing mirror on our last (2013) SE Nav knocked off by a passing van, the result was shattered glass and mirror hanging out by wires. Like yours, the little plastic clips that attached the glass and the little stem were broken.
The auto-chromic glass for the SE Nav variant is ~£250 on its own. I tried our dealer to see if the inners (motor etc) could be replaced to save replacing the whole painted unit - Answer was no, it's a whole new wing mirror. Cost new £600 (with glass). They come pre-painted using the VIN.

After I found out the cost we went down the insurance route and had it done through an authorised body shop..

Hope that helps?

-LaZ-

Edited by: Lazarus

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the wing mirror on our last (2013) SE Nav knocked off by a passing van, the result was shattered glass and mirror hanging out by wires. Like yours, the little plastic clips that attached the glass and the little stem were broken.
The auto-chromic glass for the SE Nav variant is ~£250 on its own. I tried our dealer to see if the inners (motor etc) could be replaced to save replacing the whole painted unit - Answer was no, it's a whole new wing mirror. Cost new £600 (with glass). They come pre-painted using the VIN.

After I found out the cost we went down the insurance route and had it done through an authorised body shop..

Hope that helps?

-LaZ-

Edited by: Lazarus
Can i just ask you if you can remember, did that affect your insurance much? I'm in the same boat and weighing options! Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi I have a white exclusive made in 2012. When I bought the car from a second hand dealer, I didn't notice at first the the passenger mirror was the wrong colour, it was more of a cream colour and my car is white. The difference became quite noticeable especially when your aware of it. So I bought a tin of white car sprat paint from the pound shop, flatted with fine flatting paper (800 grit), masked the glass and re-sprayed the mirror. Came out looking really good and now you cannot tell the difference. If your car is white this may be an option if you can get hold of a mirror but the colour is wrong. Richy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.