Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in talks with a company in doncaster at moment about dpf removal on the antara they are a 100% reputable copmpany and a 100% review rating wot they do is open up dpf remove the filter and weld back up so no signs off tampering them remap the car removing the dpf software and giving more power to the bargain if anyone interested as this goes on will post up findings as and when able to do they said it will be when not if there not generic maps they do there own 4 people i know have had them done on kugas, mondeo, astra and a sportge so hopefully if not think i mite defect to the oval badge lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
It sounds good, but if they do this and remap the car, this will show up on the vx diagnostic's and if under warranty this will be invalid, Doggy move I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will not show up on vx machines at all only thing that could happen if they flash ecu which basically means update which they wont do unless ecu goes down completly or have an auto which sometimes has updates as for diagnostics wont show any faults as the software deletes the dpf as if was never fitted the tech 2 and soon tech 3 or updated tech 2 vx use will still show and delete orther engine fault codes and still not detect or bring back on dpf plus vx warranty not worth paper written on i am a mechanic and know numerous vx technicians which all say the antara would be cheaper to service diy and still pay for any major repairs as warranty will not replace dpf as consumable and even clutches, drive train gear such as diffs, props etc will all be mileage related which means if you have used 80% of cltuch dual mass and fails they will only pay 20% of repair you have to pay the orther 80% as you have used that it stinks read small print the only decent warrantys are the hyundai and kia where they are no quibble fail and replace but i do understand what your saying but because off dpf on my antara 11k and wants an oil change at £160 and then in 2 monthes wants first service at £280 and they will not do it early as they say it needs yearly check for warranty so all in all £500 servicing year one £700 year two and so on is it worth it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Good luck with this. I hope things work out for you.
There are some risks in doing this sort of modification. If you do not tell you insurance company, and they find out, they will not cover any accidents you may have. There is also the issue where the modification means the vehicle is being taken outside its type approval. This can be significant if an accident investigation discovers the modification. In effect, the modification can make your vehicle illegal on the road. I think there is a process to go through where you get the vehicle re-approved, but I doubt many people do it.

I suppose if you're happy with the risks, then all power to you. My own view is it is easier to manage the DPF properly than to go through all this bother to have it removed. But that's just me.


Edit: Technically you could fail an MOT if the DPF has been removed. You can get a fail if the exhaust system is incomplete when compared with the system fitted to the car when new. I suppose it will depend on how observant the MOT tester is.


Edited by: Inchindown
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
fjaimo10 said:
maybe but can you afford the £1600 plus vat to replace when not if needs replacing
There is no real reason why the DPF will need replacing for many years, if the car survives that long. It is very easy to manage the DPF system, and keep the filter clean, without resorting to this sort of extreme action.

As I said before, good luck to you, but it is not something I would ever consider doing. It is unnecessary.

Edited by: Inchindown
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i appreciate that its each to there own but to be honest the dpf spoils the ownership of apart from is a good suv and excellent tow car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Hi Inchindown
Glad you can see the problems with doing this and the conseuences if the vehicle was changed.
Personaly, if I owned the car,
I think it would be to much hastle and a real risk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
fjaimo10 said:
i appreciate that its each to there own but to be honest the dpf spoils the ownership of apart from is a good suv and excellent tow car
Perhaps you could tell us how the DPF "spoils the ownership" of the Antara.

From my point of view, the only difference between the Antara and my previous Volvo is I can tell when a regeneration is happening with the Antarawhilethe Volvo had no way of letting you know it was happening.

I get the same MPG as the Volvo, the car is great to drive, I'm told it's a good towing car and it looks good into the bargain.

So how does the DPF spoil the ownership of the Antara?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Inchindown said:
fjaimo10 said:
i appreciate that its each to there own but to be honest the dpf spoils the ownership of apart from is a good suv and excellent tow car
 
Perhaps you could tell us how the DPF "spoils the ownership" of the Antara.
 
From my point of view, the only difference between the Antara and my previous Volvo is I can tell when a regeneration is happening with the Antara while the Volvo had no way of letting you know it was happening.
 
I get the same MPG as the Volvo, the car is great to drive, I'm told it's a good towing car and it looks good into the bargain.
 
So how does the DPF spoil the ownership of the Antara?
I have had my Antara for 14 months now and don't drive the car any different to my previous cars. Most of my weekly driving is town commuting with maybe a longer run at the weekend maybe once or twice a month.

Only once have I seen the DPF light come on but it wasn't a Problem it only came on once on a short journey on the return trip it didnt come on. We were going on a longer journey in a couple of days so I just ignored it.

I really think people are making an issue out of nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i mean spoils it i mean the dpf does a regen every 300 ish miles and seems to always do it when i tow or when i cant get to a mway the dpf light only comes on when u havent completed the regen a number of times

grumps doesnt yours do regens as often

i suppose i am spoilt coming from a 197bhp diesel vectra that did 48mpg round town suppose just got to embrace the positives such as inchdown says

but servicing twice a year takes the mikey doesnt it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
At the end of the day it is down to personal choice and although I don't like the "DPF" issue, I prefer to err on the side of safety and remain with Vauxhall for any warranty issues.

I can fully understand the reasoning behind the removal of the filter and I understand companies offering the removal, remapping and warranty offer but the latter is too much of a grey area for me.


Personally I just can't get my head around a situation whereby an "external" company will offer (through a warranty) to take on the expense of repairing an issue that has nothing to do with the work that they have originally carried out.


I don't know the figures involved but if a "DPF removed" Antara has a gearbox or suspension failure, I would imagine that worst case scenario would result in them being liable for an expense for many hundreds of pounds and this makes no sense to me whatsoever.


In any event, I hope that everything goes smoothly and I look forward to your post removal analysis of your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
The DPF is a pain at times, Vauxhall will not certainly not address it a design fault as it will cost to much to put right, so for me its just a case of get on with it and enjoy the car. In 2,000 miles I have had 4 regens, only 1 was still completing when I got to where I was going and I decided to keep the car running at 2,500 revs whilst parked, it took about 3 minutes to complete.

I owned a seat Leon FR TDI which had a DPF and that lived in the dealers garage with numerous DPF and associated fault sensor issues, I ended up selling the car at 18 months old, so it's not just Vauxhall that have problems with the DPFs and I think manufacturers are learning all the time with them.

Just be careful on the removal though, as a friend had one removed from VW Golf and they encountered some emission issues at MOT time, I'm not sure of the full story so it could have been a bodge job but worth considering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
JR123 said:
The DPF is a pain at times, Vauxhall will not certainly not address it a design fault as it will cost to much to put right, so for me its just a case of get on with it and enjoy the car. In 2,000 miles I have had 4 regens, only 1 was still completing when I got to where I was going and I decided to keep the car running at 2,500 revs whilst parked, it took about 3 minutes to complete.

I owned a seat Leon FR TDI which had a DPF and that lived in the dealers garage with numerous DPF and associated fault sensor issues, I ended up selling the car at 18 months old, so it's not just Vauxhall that have problems with the DPFs and I think manufacturers are learning all the time with them.

Just be careful on the removal though, as a friend had one removed from VW Golf and they encountered some emission issues at MOT time, I'm not sure of the full story so it could have been a bodge job but worth considering.
It's pretty certain we are stuck with the current DPF system until the new model Antara comes out in a couple of years. There's no way they would modify the system of car that is at the end of its design life.

Not sure if it's true, but I seem to remember reading that the new Antara will be built in Europe, so we can hope they will not re-use the Korean exhaust system for the new model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I would not suggest removal. From what I have been told the cars turbocharger relies on the back pressure that the DPF presents. Once removed and re-mapped, although the car may feel quicker the Turbo will not be operating as designed and will wear out much faster. Best method is to get the unit cleaned. Have a look at this site DPFcleanteam.co.uk They offer a full guaranteed cleaning service with promise that unit will be 'As new' once its been through their service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
This could also prove to be a problem if u live inside the congestion zone.soon to be put in place in major cities as well as london.all diesels have to have a dpf.caught n it will be expensive.go down the route of complaining to vx. The morw they get the morw the will look at the situation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Sorry for the type o.just burn my finger trying to remove the dpf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Inchindown said:
Not sure if it's true, but I seem to remember reading that the new Antara will be built in Europe, so we can hope they will not re-use the Korean exhaust system for the new model.

Opel have decided to bring the production of the Antara and the Mokka back to Germany and that is scheduled for 2014.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
cameron said:
I would not suggest removal. From what I have been told the cars turbocharger relies on the back pressure that the DPF presents. Once removed and re-mapped, although the car may feel quicker the Turbo will not be operating as designed and will wear out much faster. Best method is to get the unit cleaned. Have a look at this site DPFcleanteam.co.uk They offer a full guaranteed cleaning service with promise that unit will be 'As new' once its been through their service

Hi Cameron and firstly, welcome along to the forum



With regards to your message, I am in total agreement with you in as far as I for one won't be getting the DPF removed, no matter how bad things are or may become.


I can understand the need to have the filter cleaned but there is still something fundamentally wrong when some of us have cars that are only a few months old and only showing a couple of thousands of miles on the clock and still having "problems" with it.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top