Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a Newbie. I have a 2.2 antara 163bhp nav. I too find the dpf troublesome and expensive on fuel. Here is a bit of information I read some time ago. A volvo owner removed the honeycombed ceramic filter from his dpf making in effect a straight through pipe. when he put it back on the car a warning light came on. He observed there were two pipes coming out of the dpf, one before the filter and one after. these ran up to a pressure sensor.He calculated that the pressure difference in an unblocked filter would cause the pressure sensor to send a certain voltage to the ecu.He now realized that by removing the ceramic core there was now no pressure difference at all and the sensor was letting the ecu know this, hence the warning light. He purchased from Maplins a potentiometer [voltage adjuster] for around £1.50 He connected this in between the sensor and the ecu and set the voltage to what it should be for a clean dpf. This got rid of the warning light and also the regeneration. His car has more power and no one can tell that his Dpf has been tampered with. I almost tried this on my last 2ltr antara but luckily sold it first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The ECU on the Antara is Bosch EDC 17 with an Infineon Tricore Processor. it is in effect a computer andI think any attempt to fool it using a cheap transistor is not a good idea
There arecompanies around who will remove the DPF and properly reprogram the ECU, the problem is that this will invalidate any VX warranty

Edited by: Busterboy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again. You will note that the example I gave of the Volvo owner was that he claimed complete success in removing the ceramic filter from his dpf. We must assume that Volvo also use a quality ecu. As I'm sure you know the ecu commands a regeneration when it gets a signal from the pressure sensor that the filter is about to block ie high pressure on the inlet side of the filter and very little on the outlet. The sensor voltage to the ecu will then change and the ecu starts a regen. Once the filter has been cleared and the pressure returns to the default normal setting the ecu stops the regeneration. Likewise if the ceramic filter is removed altogetherthere will not beANY pressure difference in the pipes going to the sensor and the resulting voltage will reveal this to the ecu which will activate a warnig light. Mr Volvos solution was to feed the ecu the proper voltage to keep it happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts