Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I bought my 62 plate antara SE last week. I've done 250 miles and the dpf light has come on. Most of these miles were high speed motorway. Why has it lit up so soon?
The instant display also flashes 999 frequently while driving. Is this normal?
Feeling a bit lost and like I might have been taken for a ride....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Take it on a run, I only run mine on proper fuel not supermarket stuff and I'm sure that helps, it regents every 520 ish miles irrespective of what driving you've done, if you are on motorway lots you shouldn't notice it again, just bad timing this time, looking at all forums as much as regens are annoying seems good compared to others, even the evoques etc are having major grief!! Good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Shevs09. Firstly 999 on the instant display is normal. Your mpg will show this when there is no "loading" of the engine. i.e when you take your foot off the accelerator and change gear or when going down a hill, "free wheeling". Secondly, have a good read of the DPF thread to get an understanding of it. But basically if your light had come on then what this is telling you is that the dpf is saturated because the regeneration system has failed to complete a cycle on a number of attempts. When the light has come on you have to take it for a drive and force a regen and allow it to finish, I too stay away from supermarket fuel and have never had my light come on in 2 1/2 years

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying. I have only put proper diesel in, not supermarket so I am good there.
Today has been event free so perhaps as you say, just bad timing.
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine regens every 450 miles, quite unacceptable really,unfortunately it is one of the down sides of having a diesel car these days. I think the DPF filter spells the beginning of the end of diesel cars.
The 999.9 is normal and is one of the ways of telling that you need a regen, if it disappears you need a regen. The other way of telling is when the electric fans run on after the engine is switched on and the car sounds like a hovercraft. Lastly you will notice your fuel consumption drop dramatically until it is complete.
Completely spoils an otherwise brilliant car and needs to be addressed by Vauxhall.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
vauxhallbitz said:
Mine regens every 450 miles, quite unacceptable really,unfortunately it is one of the down sides of having a diesel car these days. I think the DPF filter spells the beginning of the end of diesel cars.
I think it spells the end of regens. I think regen was a quick fix to get vehicles through the emissions tests, for all makes not just VX.
Merc use a system called Blue tech. Don't know a lot about it,but I'm told it works well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The way to go is ad blue (or different makes of it but all the same stuff) used it in trucks for years now and its a very inexpensive way to save the regens. I think but stand to be corrected that VW use the same system in there blue motion range

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is that the simulilar stuff to red X you can put in petrol engines to keep them clean?

·
Registered
422 Posts
No, it is ad blue, and also new vauxhall engines will be using same technology (for example new 170 ps diesel engine in insignia)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My regens started dropping from 500 and ended up as low as 350, I then added a bottle of forte dpf cleaner worked wonders next regen back to 500 and has been for the last couple of months. I've been adding this to my wife's Zafira now for a three years 1 bottle every 12 months as she never really gives it a good run. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Worth a try, thanks for that, has anyone tried a product called "Liqui Moly" it seems to get a good write up.

It seems ridiculous that in this day and age we have to use additives in a modern diesel engine and that we should be happy with regens every 500 miles.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Been using Redex Diesel addative and allthough regens are still every 520 mile or so it seems to clear quite a bit quicker than without.

·
Registered
7 Posts
forte is the way to go i have bin using it for years on my own cars and also on customers it works by lowering the burn temp of the particulates in the dpf

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is forte to be used on vehicles that have done some mileage as my Antara is new & only done a few thousand miles?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know why people are shying away from supermarket fuel I have seen B.P, Esso and Shell tankers delivering to supermarkets. I have only used supermarket fuel in mine from new, and never had any trouble with it. As for regens they were every 500-520 miles, I was using wynns dpf cleaner until November when I stopped using it. Regens gradually increased andare nowhappening every 420ish miles. Next time I fill up it's back to the wynns tosee what happens.
The only supermarket fuel I wil not use is Asdas', tried it in my previouscar and the mpg dropped by 8mpg.
Edited by: murphy1

·
Registered
422 Posts
As aboveUsually I am filling up on tesco,and no problems at all,and every 2000 miles I am using a bottle of wynns dpf cleaner.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The engines are programmed to do a regen about every 500 miles whether it needs it or not, and regardless of type of driving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts