Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Antara owners, having had mine for a few months (2013 Exclusive) personally I am pleased with the car, yes it's not a BMW but it's good enough for me, after reading many posts I decided to register to ask a question.

Has anybody noticed the dashboard speaker grill lifting at the front edge nearest the windscreen ?, it's annoying and next week will be the second new grill fitted to try and resolve this, it's as if the clips at this edge are not locating.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at least I am not alone, sorry to hear you have the same problem, one point of warning, if your not at this stage yet, the grill is a nightmare to remove without damaging the surrounding trim, I have had Vauxhall support, but more importantly a brilliant dealer, removal involved pushing hooks into the grill holes and pulling, ruins the fitted part but does the job. Have you any view of a fix ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
ive had the grill off, the connecting lugs are flimsy, if they get distorted slightly the grill wont engage properly in the dash trim, also if the dash trim connectors are slightly out of align then the grill dose pop out, I think the problem lies with the dash trim and not the grill, just a thought,

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Take it back and tell em to do the job right or you will be putting a complaint into vauxhall in regards to the dealership

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with you 100%, it's booked back in but I always fear it coming back worse than it went in. I had spotted another the same when out and about, hence the question trying to gauge if this was a common fault. Will hopefully be sorted this time but from what gmzx writes it looks like its a bit hit and miss on getting the trim to clip in.. We will see.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine's going back to dealers today for something else but while it's there they will be looking at mine for the 4th time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let us know if they fixed the speaker cover and if you know how they did it, maybe we can educate our dealers...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Went into dealers today and got the lights turned to proper auto and they had a look at the cover (again) now going to order me a new one as it is something they are aware ofand the new ones have much sturdier clips on them. Lets wait and see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
had same problem with mine they tried to re-fit it but would not fit so theyended up putting new one in and now a month later its popped up again got it booked in 16th December along with its first service

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well after spending 2 hours of my day at the dealers
for what should of been a 10 minute job they are now saying they will have to talk to VX as they think it's not the cover at fault (despite what they told me last time) but now think I need a whole new dash board
This could get intersting

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coincidentally I have just returned from attempt 2 of fixing this, new grill trim fitting attempted but will not stay down at the front edge, dealer is ringing Vauxhall to ask advise..for a trim part that would need removing if the light sensor failed this is turning into a disaster...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had dealer on phone this afternoon and VX have given permission for them to replace my whole dashboard

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that's a big job for the grill not fitting, they must have damaged something trying, surely they wouldn't be changing dashboards on cars with speaker or light sensor problems where the grill had to be removed or to the point all of us with the same issue of it not fitting.. Let us know how you get on, the thought of such a big strip down makes me shiver...

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
2Dogs said:
Had dealer on phone this afternoon and VX have given permission for them to replace my whole dashboard
that would be my worst nightmare. i can only imagine all the other problems your gonna have now not to mention rattles.

fingers crossed the dealer knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Erm, I may be being a bit slow here; Dashboard Speaker Grill? Do you mean that lump in the middle of the dashboardwhere thesunlight/ambient light sensor is located? Are they the problem? Mine is as flush as a flush-thing!

-LaZ-
Edited by: Lazarus

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Lazarus said:
Erm, I may be being a bit slow here; Dashboard Speaker Grill? Do you mean that lump in the middle of the dashboard where the sunlight/ambient light sensor is located? Are they the problem? Mine is as flush as a flush-thing!

-LaZ-
Funny I didn't want to say it but I was thinking the same. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I went to Pentagon Vauxhall today for them to fit the new 'Dashboard Speaker Grille' - after two hours I was told it was a bigger job than they thought, meant removing a lot of parts/panels etc. and had to be done very carefully so as to avoid causing any damage - finally after three & a quarter hours of sitting waiting-"so sorry to keep you waiting but this is the first one of these we've fitted - at one stage we thought we would have to keep your car for a few days so we could order a complete new dashboard, anyway it's all done & ready for you" I finally got my keys back and set off for home - wait a minute - is that a new rattling noise coming from the dashboard? - anyway as it was dark by the time I left for home I did warn them that I would be straight back if I found any scratches or damage. The good news is that for the moment, I have a flush-fitting dashboard speaker grille!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would love to know how they actually did it, I had a go myself when it popped up last time, I used a bit of foam to pack out the front 2 clips on the grill ( if you have ever looked at one removed you will know what I mean) when I refitted it there was a nice positive click as it went back on, it still sits about 1mm high just at the front edge but you would never pick up on it not being normal and there's no way I want the dashboard ripping out, I can't see a dash board shipped to the dealer in the back of a van then fitted by less than careful fitters who are given a few hours only to do it ending up being a good finished job, scratches and rattles gallor is all I can imagine ( sorry if your having it done and maybe you will prove me wrong).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts