Antara Owners Club banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry all been busy, 25 is the gear that chews through the casing so thst is the one i remove, done plenty with no problems , it may be an insurance issue as you are modifying the drivetrain but that is down to yourself if you feel you need to inform them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Easiest way is remove rear prop and os driveshaft, unbolt and remove 31, that releases 35, remove end plate after draining AND discarding old oil, 24 and 25 will now be free but most of the time 24 stays there, use 25 as a new door stop and rebuild with some sealer on plate, if its cracked ideal time to get welded. Get your oil from vauxhall and refill. I would recommend refitting prop and leaving the other rear shafts, Jobs a goodun.
Tbh if you are reasonably handy you should have it sorted on a sunday and should beable to slip it back together in half the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Matt, I have a Chevrolet Captiva 2.2D 184 HP AWD 6 manual, and the gear of the transfer is completely damaged.

I need to try to find a solution without change it...and I consider your option to convert 4wd to 2wd...no lights, and control problems without the internal gear of the transfer?

I want to instal de propshaft and add the gear liquid, but I leave the transfer empy of gears...so no conection between both axles...Is safe to drive like this? Thanks for all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi all
my transfer box failed at 47ooo miles so we did the same removed al the internals(the idler gear and shaft) refitted the main shaft to drive the offside wheel and repaired the casing refitted the box and the car is now 2wd the fuel economy is better and the car pulls better in all gears the only other way is to remove the good box and change the crappy bearings fitted as standard for decent ones Mackie transmissions in Scotland can do this for you or a new box from them is 2190 plus vat which is 2000 cheaper than Vauxhall charge mine displays no warning lights at all and I tow a 7 metre caravan with it and no problems at all if I knew then what I know now I would have bought the 2wd version instead

·
Registered
11 Posts
Easiest way is remove rear prop and os driveshaft, unbolt and remove 31, that releases 35, remove end plate after draining AND discarding old oil, 24 and 25 will now be free but most of the time 24 stays there, use 25 as a new door stop and rebuild with some sealer on plate, if its cracked ideal time to get welded. Get your oil from vauxhall and refill. I would recommend refitting prop and leaving the other rear shafts, Jobs a goodun.
Tbh if you are reasonably handy you should have it sorted on a sunday and should beable to slip it back together in half the time.
Hi Matt,

Can you clarify that this can all be done with the car on stands or do you need it on a lift. Also, does the exhaust need to be temoved. Looks like I have to do mine now, got lots of noise, and it's not the wheel bearings!!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Matt,

Can you clarify that this can all be done with the car on stands or do you need it on a lift. Also, does the exhaust need to be temoved. Looks like I have to do mine now, got lots of noise, and it's not the wheel bearings!!

Thanks in advance
Hi can i ask how tight should the shaft 24 be,ive put mine back together and can hardly turn it with the case bolts tightened up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Victor,
Just to update i have Done 6 for local owners up to now, to remove the internal gear , refit casing , driveshaft ect and new oil it costed at £200 , had two out of the six that need the casing repaired , havnt got an alloy welder so outsouced the casing to a local welder and that added £50 approx,
The cars drive normal afterwards just fwd only with no warning lamps.
Matt

Edited by: Mattlcfc
Matty
My antara transfer box gone. I want my garage to turn to 2wd .
Casing split so bought a 2nd hand casing as needed an alloy welder .
Garage says that all bearings in casing goosed and that I now need to buy all bearings as well. I would have been cheaper to buy new transfer box.
Garage says car will still be really noisy if I turn to 2wd without this , is this correct ? Any advice welcome

21 - 28 of 28 Posts