Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last regen started 5-10 minutes before getting home so I just left the car on tickover on the drive & it completed after approx another 6-7 minutes (if memory serves me correct). Having now done 500 miles since then, this proves that the regen did indeed complete on tickover.

I have now just done exactly the same (as my usual 500 mile regen has just occurred), 6-7 mins on tickover completed it.

Two main factors here-

1. The System seems to use MUCH less fuel during regen this way.

2. It's MUCH more convenient, for us at least to be able to do this rather than driving around willy nilly wasting fuel & time.

Fingers crossed that this trend continues in this way, regens will be far less of an issue if so!!

Edited by: ♠ChumBucket♠

·
Registered
91 Posts
Modern trucks have a parked regeneration button which raises the tickover to about 1400 rpm, maybe we need to keep a handy brick for the accelerator..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TisMe said:
Modern trucks have a parked regeneration button which raises the tickover to about 1400 rpm, maybe we need to keep a handy brick for the accelerator..

I did consider sitting there & depressing the throttle but didn't & just left it at it's natural idle speed & it's done the trick thus far.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi AllAn interesting way of dealing with an annoying problem, so much for dealership advice to keep the revs above 2000!

Only slight problem I could envisage is leaving it on the drive with keys in and the enginerunning may not be viewed very kindly by the insurance company, if it went walkies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thought that would be the case ! Mine started a regen whilst towing the caravan unfortunately I was only 10 mile from home . I unhooked the caravan at the storage compound and left the engine running whilst I wound legs down and put locks on & emptied fridge . This took 5 mins I jumped back in car but noticed it had ended its regen cycle ( mpg down to 0.1 on tick over ) . I then drove down home expecting the regen cycle to restart but it didn't . I assumed it must have completed its cycle and was chuffed with myself . The following morning it started its regen all over again on the way to work , I was running late so again had to abort and ended up driving an extra 20 mile on my trip home . I love the AntarA but hate this DPF malarkey vauxhall know how to ruin a lovely car for sure ! :-(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Would the advice then be NOT to let it tickover to complete a regen? If so this means that either we have to continue driving till the fuel readout stabilises or just switch off and hope for the best.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drivingmad said:
Would the advice then be NOT to let it tickover to complete a regen? If so this means that either we have to continue driving till the fuel readout stabilises or just switch off and hope for the best.

Looks that way. As I said, the first time this happened I went a full 500 mile cycle without another regen- so I assumed it had completed the regen on idle. The same happened yesterday but unfortunately this time the car has regened today- now indicating that it had NOT completed on idle this time.

Would have been nice though & made regen life much easier than having to drive round for half an hour & 10 quids worth of juice down the drain!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
RD57 Where did your 2000rpm figure come from? It's not in the handbook.
All it says in the handbook on p87 - if the light comes on - "Continue driving until it extinguishes." On the same page later it says if the light comes on when driving :"Start cleaning process as soon as possible".
Then when the filter is full and the light flashes when driving we read "Start cleaning process immediately to avoid damage to the engine."
But nowhere are we told what the CLEANING PROCESS is!

Is there any written description of the "cleaning process" in any VX document?

·
Registered
782 Posts
In my 2012 handbook, it says to try to keep the revs above 2000 if you get a warning light come on. From my experience, when you are having an automatic regeneration, it doesn't really matter all that much as long as you are able to drive continuously until the auto regen is complete.
The 2000 revs thing only applies if you get theDPF warning light.

Edited by: Inchindown

·
Registered
213 Posts
Page 127 of the 2013 Owners Manual (Driving and Operating)describes the 'Cleaning Process':"To activate the cleaning process, continue driving, keeping engine speed above 2000 revolutions per minute. Shift down if necessary. Diesel particle filter cleaning is then started."
-LaZ-

Edited by: Lazarus

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I have done this a few times when it has been part through a normal regen process, I just put handbrake on and hold the revs at about 1.5 and 2k revs it takes no time at all to go back to normal tick over and my regens have stayed at around 500 miles.

Maybe you need to use your right foot a bit to trick it into thinking you are not parked up.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JR123 said:
Well I have done this a few times when it has been part through a normal regen process, I just put handbrake on and hold the revs at about 1.5 and 2k revs it takes no time at all to go back to normal tick over and my regens have stayed at around 500 miles.

Maybe you need to use your right foot a bit to trick it into thinking you are not parked up.....

That's my next plan!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I couldn't careless, when I come home I come home for a reason and that reason is not to let the car tick over on the drive or to go for a twenty minute drive to clean some thing that I don't want in the first place. Will Vauxhall pay my diesel bill? No they won't, so I'll turn the car off no matter what the car wants me to do. What happens if you get to work and the light comes on, do you drive off for twenty minutes? What about a doctor or hospital appointment? Whoever came up with this ridiculous DPF business needs a damn good thrashing!

Surely any fool with an ounce of common sense would understand that driving around to clean the filter is not only ridiculous, time consuming and annoying but is damaging the environment more than the flaming soot that is produced without a DPF!! Why is it that no one in any government department has an iota of common sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts