Antara Owners Club banner

Clutch problems?

7K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  wilma08 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the clutch on their Antara? We have had ours for 4 weeks and have 1400 miles on the clock to date. This is the first Vauxhall we have had and so never seemed to be any warning signs until today when having slowed at a roundabout and into gear to move off the revs went mad and the car wouldn't move forward, smell of burning. Uncertain what this was managed to drive on but when stopped and tried to drive again car wouldn't drive and burning smell. Called AA and they advised burnt out clutch. The car is now in the Vauxhall garage awaiting assessment on Monday but I have been advised that this may be down to "driver error" as they hadn't had the problem previously!! I have been driving non-Vauxhall cars for many years and I also have not had this problem previously!
I just wondered if anyone else had any problems with clutch?

#2 ·
Some members have had an odd issue with the clutch, but not more than any other make. I would not let the dealer try to saddle you with the bill. Get onto Vauxhall service centre and express your outrage and let them know in no uncertain terms that this is not acceptable.Good luck. Let us know how you get on?

If you have been driving for years and never had a clutch issue, why should it start now.
If your not happy, get onto one of the trade bodies like; motor codes

Edited by: chrisg

#6 ·
I have complained about the crunch from 1st to 2nd gear and to be fair Vauxhall agreed to investigate but only after I asked for it to be recorded on file. Initial explanation was a "dragging clutch" so will wait to see what happens as the car is in the garage today for a few days.

#7 ·
STALKER20 said:
Clutch replaced under warranty but will take a long while before i have confidence in the car
Was it the vauxhall dealers in Glasgow Road (Arnold Clark) they don't get a good wright up, I bought a car from them and there was some dodgy dealings going on very Strange dealership.

#10 ·
Update on my gear box issue. Parts have now arrived from Germany and car goes in tomorrow for new second gear and synchro. Have said it will be in for two days so will give the verdict once I have got it back. Problem with gear change from first to second and changing down from third to second always there but worse sometimes than others. Hopefully this will sort it. All being done under warranty.

#13 ·
Just got my car back from Vauxhall after the replacement of 2nd gear and synchromesh under warranty. Went in for two days and got it back after 4 days. Notice a difference when changing between first and second and from third down to second so a result. Having driven the new Astra for the four days whilst mine was in the garage I have come to the conclusion that vauxhall gearboxes are notchy and a bit clunky. Important thing for me is that my antara doesn't crunch anymore between 1st and 2nd.

#14 ·
That's really good it makes a difference when the gearbox is good
You are right about vauxhall gearboxes I have driven several over the years, I would recommend the auto gear box it is very responsive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.