Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone changed a clutch master cylinder, mine has decided to fail so need to change it at the weekend, just wondered how involved it was before I start to remove, I am guessing I will need to remove battery and fuse box to get to slave so as I can bleed it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Are you sure it's your master cylinder and not the slave cylinder? It's the Concentric Slave Cylinder (CSC) on these and they're more prone to give trouble than the master cylinders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Victor,
The Slave was replaced 18 months ago, the symptoms are no pressure on the clutch pedal just floppy as if no fluid but no leaks and the reservoir is full so no fluid loss, fluid looks dirty so thinking was seals in Master had deteriorated and caused the piston inside to stick down after pressing the pedal and not return back.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Can you blank off the master cylinder at the outlet pipe and see if the pedal goes solid? If it does then obviously the problem lies elsewhere.

The Antara clutch hydraulic system can be very difficult to bleed apparently. When I put mine in for its second service they were supposed to change both the brake and clutch fluid but they did neither. When I went back and confronted them about it they agreed to change the brake fluid but advised me they didn't want to touch the clutch fluid because the system would likely give all sorts of trouble when they tried to bleed it (and tehy were talking from experience). Rather than risk havig to run back and forward to them with soft/spongy clutch pedal and gear change problems I just let it go and didn't bother with havng the clutch fluid changed..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Victor,
I did not think of blanking the cylinder off, will try at the weekend and see what happens, will report back with findings after the weekend, I have access to a pressure bleeder so that may help, just wondering what else could cause the fluid to go black other than seals in the master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The fluid reservoir is mounted on the bulkhead, remote from the master cylinder, and connected by a black flexible hose. Could be small particles of the inner hose migrating through the fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts