Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Does anyone have experience of fitting a reversing camera to the Clarion ICE system fitted to the 2012 SE model?

·
Registered
74 Posts
HI

i've fitted a reverse camera to my antara albeit with a parrot asteroid smart as the head unit, but the principle is the same.

your biggest challenge will be running the feed from the reverse lights to the tailgate. running the rest of the cabling is relatively simple.

any questions you have feel free to ask

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Baza,Thanks for that, viewing your post prompted me to ask.
Was your reversing camera part of the system you purchased? If not what make is it?
I have looked on line and cameras range from a few pounds to £150 for the Clarion version. The car has reversing sensors so I only want it for reversing up to my caravan, thought it might save the multiple hop outs to see how far the coupling is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i paid £65 for mine it was from a company called connects2 and fits in place of one of the number plate lights. its fairly easy to install.

the camera i have would be ideal for this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Baza,Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Baza55 said:
HI 

i've fitted a reverse camera to my antara albeit with a parrot asteroid smart as the head unit, but the principle is the same.

your biggest challenge will be running the feed from the reverse lights to the tailgate. running the rest of the cabling is relatively simple.

any questions you have feel free to ask
Afternoon Bazza.

I've just purchased a reversing camera myself. Can you give me tips where you fed all the cables thorough the tailgate. Also how did you connect the wires? Was the reverse light used and did CANBUS affect it??

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok so.....

First off I removed the trim from the tailgate 1 screw inside the handle and 2 either side of the lock. Then pull it firmly.

I removed the rubber seal around the tailgate, passengers side front and rear doors .
I then removed the pillar trim from the front pillar by the windscreen ( 1 screw under the airbag badge)
Next I loosened the glovebox and folded down .

Next remove passenger side rear light cluster to provide access to the reverse light.

My camera simply replaced the number plate light so was a simple remove and fit. I threaded the wires up through the tailgate alongside the original loom and out through the existing gaiter into the roof lining. Using a long wire I had pushed through from passenger side rear door to the boot underneath the headlined. I pulled wiring back to rear door . Same from front door and the. Passed down the pillar taking care not to obstruct or upset the airbag.

I had no issues with voltage to the camera but if you do then you will need a live from the battery to a relay that will be switched by the reverse light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone who has changed their head unit, dim automatically when their headlights are switched on? Screen is too bright and have to blank the illumination of the screen during nighttime driving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If the question is just on the Clarion head unit then I couldn't answer but I fitted the Pioneer SPH-110 and this does dim as soon as you turn on the lights, so the function to trigger dimming is in the wiring of the car, you can even adjust the brightness at the 2 settings (lights on or off) on the pioneer unit as a bonus.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

I have the Clarion system fitted from new by the dealer. The sat nav changes to night colours automatically when dusk falls. Not sure that it is connected to headlights as mine are on auto and therefore on all the time. I do know that it has a page showing the world map and the shadow cast by night so I assume it knows when it is getting dark and changes...... if that makes sense.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've fitted a head unit from A-Sure, which a few members have fitted previously. Does anybody with a similar Head Unit dim automatically when headlights are switched on as other members have kindly posted previous to my post. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
chingster294, I have the A-sure unit fitted, there is a slight dimming of the screen when the headlights are turned on but not much. There are 3 settings for the screen light; soft, standard or light, you may have it on the light setting if you are finding it too bright, or you could turn the brightness down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Off Road Doc said:
chingster294, I have the A-sure unit fitted, there is a slight dimming of the screen when the headlights are turned on but not much. There are 3 settings for the screen light; soft, standard or light, you may have it on the light setting if you are finding it too bright, or you could turn the brightness down.
Thanks Off Road Doc for the reply. Must admit the A-sure is a nice piece of kit and works well. Hard to fit all the cables into tight space though. Reversing camera next!

Happy New Year

·
Registered
55 Posts
Off Road Doc said:

Off Road Doc, are you able to shed any light on how I can adjust the volume for the voice of the Sat Nav, without the music then kicking in at full blast?????

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts