Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reversing a caravan on the flat 10yrds, we had an awful burning smell. Only had the car 1 week brand new.
Its happened again since!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Hi Trish

Welcome to the forum.

Good to have another lady on the forum.

Did you hear the engine cooling fan going when you smelt the burning smell. If so its probably your antara doing a diesel particle filter regeneration.

Have a search through the forum you will find loads if information about it.

It could be other things but I would put money on a regeneration.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yup....Itsthe DPF. Thats what makes the Antara a star....She dont smell like a smelly ol'diesel. It catchesthe sooty diesel on its way out and when the DPF is full it burnes it all off by heating it at a high temperature. Thats the smell and thats why the cooling fans kick-in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi trishWhen i got my car from new i had a burning smell as well. I took it back to the dealer, and they said it was some sort of wax they put on the enginge when the car is shipped. Anyway they wiped all the wax off the engine and it went away. I presume the wax(or whatever it is) is there to protect the engine I dont really know. It might be the other thing the members have mentioned I dont know.
Hope this helps

Richie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't worry about it Trish. It like the others said. It that PDF filter....When I got mine new, It did the same, and I took it back to the dealers and they told me it was some wax stuff left after transport.....It did it again since. But since joining this forum and reading about it, it put my mind at ease. IF your little PDF green light comes on in the dash, just take it for a good run on a motorway ordual carriage way, It will sort itself out.

Enjoy your Antara & the Forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aw thanks guys you are stars!! Thats made us feel better now! Great to be on here and discover things like this. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
trish said:
Aw thanks guys you are stars!! Thats made us feel better now! Great to be on here and discover things like this. Thanks again!
No problem Trish

Let us know how you get on and post some pics of your Antara and caravan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Trish we too tow a a caravan do you still get burning smell wevdidcirst couplecovtimes we used car only done 550 miles so still rather new

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you spend a fair bit of time repositioning a caravan on uneven surfaces then it will be the clutch that's warming up. Mine does it all the time when shifting caravan and horse boxes and the like

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have to agree with piddy .

It has not happened with my Antara yet - but I used to get a clutch burning smell with my Signum ....especially when reversing the caravan on a field.
The caravan brake can come on I think which doesn't help.
The clutch burning is a distinctive smell .............not just a hot metal smell that you get when the DPF kicks in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Just away in my caravan and while reversing on to pitch, the clutch started to smoke and a burning smell, took the car for a test drive yesterday without the van all seems fine now, any one else had the same issue, towing the van

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just keep an eye out but take her into Vauxhall when you get home mate.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
alfiethedog said:
I will not too happy only done 6000 miles, phoned the garage up today, they said if it is the clutch will not be covered under warranty.
How old is your car ? If it is only 5/ 6 months old then their must have been a fault with the clutch plate, I would state your case on that one.
Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
I check every time I reverse with the caravan on for burning smell but only happened once which was when the car was new and my reversing skills are not great so need a few attempts the only thing is the fan running but that stops after 20.30 seconds

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks All, still away on my holidays, with the caravan, havent towed it since, will see what its like when I tow it back home. Then straight back to the dealer. Btw before this love my Antara.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts