Antara Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new FWD exclusiv that has just clocked 2k miles. I am a bit bothered by the brakes. When the engine is running the pedal can be pushed through to the floor and pumped back-up again. The same can be done when the engine is off. I've checked the fluid resevoir and it's full, and I can't see any bubbles of air when the pedal is worked.The problem is the movement in the pedal is making me nervous of the brakes. Anyone else experiencing this?
Also had to undertake an emergency stop and ABS failed - nearsidefront wheel locked-up and I lost the back end - not fun had to turn in to the skid.This was on asunny anddry, mid-day run up the M1 last Sunday!

It's been to the dealer who told me all Antara's pedals do this, in fact all servo assisted brakes do this!! The 'mechanic' also told methat the car shouldn't have skidded, but he didn't propose todo anythingabout it. As far as he was concerned the car is fine, and safe. As a result of this expert assessment I had it tested on rollers at an MOT station and they confirmed the nearside front wheel lockedearlier than the right, they were also unhappy with the pedaland suggested I contact Vauxhall, and test drive another Antarato see if its the same.

I had an '08Zaf previously where the pedal didn't move, I never really had to overly test the brakes, but it always stopped in a straight line. Feedback on this would be welcomed, as it stands I am waiting to take the car for another roller test at a Vauxhall dealer at some point this week (and yes, whilst it's still under warranty - on a 62 plate -I have to pay £60 for the privilege).
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
MikeN said:
I have a brand new FWD exclusiv that has just clocked 2k miles.  I am a bit bothered by the brakes.  When the engine is running the pedal can be pushed through to the floor and pumped back-up again.  The same can be done when the engine is off.  I've checked the fluid resevoir and it's full, and I can't see any bubbles of air when the pedal is worked.  The problem is the movement in the pedal is making me nervous of the brakes.  Anyone else experiencing this?
Also had to undertake an emergency stop and ABS failed - nearside front wheel locked-up and I lost the back end - not fun had to turn in to the skid.  This was on a sunny and dry, mid-day run up the M1 last Sunday!

It's been to the dealer who told me all Antara's pedals do this, in fact all servo assisted brakes do this!!  The 'mechanic' also told me that the car shouldn't have skidded, but he didn't propose to do anything about it.  As far as he was concerned the car is fine, and safe.  As a result of this expert assessment I had it tested on rollers at an MOT station and they confirmed the nearside front wheel locked earlier than the right, they were also unhappy with the pedal and suggested I contact Vauxhall, and test drive another Antara to see if its the same. 

I had an '08 Zaf previously where the pedal didn't move, I never really had to overly test the brakes, but it always stopped in a straight line.  Feedback on this would be welcomed, as it stands I am waiting to take the car for another roller test at a Vauxhall dealer at some point this week (and yes, whilst it's still under warranty - on a 62 plate -I have to pay £60 for the privilege). 
Cheers
Not very reassuring. I would go back to your dealer with the info from the mot station and if you still get no joy contact Vauxhall or another Vauxhall dealer for a second opinion.

To be honest I haven't had any issues with the pedals. They are the same as any car I have driven. I would be inclined to think the the expert opinion was wrong and the technician is talking out his arse.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree with Grumps, definitely sounds like something is wrong. I've done just over 8,000 miles and never experienced anything like that.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
He should have, as it was clear the breaking system was not preforming to a safe standard, your breaks only hit the floor when something is wrong within the system, you should never have to pump the brakes to get them to work for you, the only time you do pump the breaks is when, you have worked on the breaking system changing pipes pads disks etc as you have had to put new breaking fluid in due to draining the system to do the job in hand.
As for the ABS locking this also indicates a problem with the system, the VX mechanic needs to go back to college and retake his exams me thinks? Edited by: wilma08

·
Registered
220 Posts
wilma08 said:
the VX mechanic needs to go back to college and retake his exams me thinks?
I disagree Wilma. The so called mechanic should be barred from working on vehicles for the rest of his life and be charged with criminal negligence.

I am sure that we all agree that there is something very seriously wrong when you have to "pump" the brake pedal or when the ABS is not working. Any mechanic who "approves" a car in that state is, in essence, approving a machine which is liabel to kill.

I have a son who is a ship's master. If he screws up at work and puts his ship aground then he will end up in court or at the very least face an officialinquiery. Similar actions can be expected if a pilot oe a train or bus-driver screws up. WHy should a mechanic go scot free when he endangers other peoples lives?

Clearly there are two issues here - the brakes need fixing and the mechanic needs to beprevented from risking other peoples lives in the future.On top of that, GM / Vauxhaul need to sort out its customer-relations policy and reimburse the £60 as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi all maybe if you are slightly mechanically minded you can check a few things your self. Firstly a loose vacuum pipe can also lead to a loss of pressure and make the pedal travel. secondly if you are on a long incline using alot of brake then you can run out of vaccum.(this would have to be a very steep long incline). then theres very slowly pressing the pedal continously would also use up the vacuum. but these are only thing to think about.certainly under normal driving these should not happen.What did they say about the car pulling when brakes are applied?this sound like a electrical fault as its prob connected to the abs not working. pulling and skidding sounds like its connected with each other.tell them if the engine stops working you can stop and be safe but if the brakes fail its not safe and are they going to be responsable for any consequenses if they happen

·
Registered
257 Posts
Something for others to try which may surprise you :).

Sit in car with engine running you will find you can push pedal slowly all the way to floor if you keep firm pressure on the pedal. This is the case with most modern cars with ABS. It is something to do with the recycling and ABS ESP TCS side of things

Obviously if when driving it did this then you have a fault.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
HoneyMonster said:
Something for others to try which may surprise you :)

Sit in car with engine running you will find you can push pedal slowly all the way to floor if you keep firm pressure on the pedal. This is the case with most modern cars with ABS. It is something to do with the recycling and ABS ESP TCS side of things

Obviously if when driving it did this then you have a fault.
Yes I have noticed this. Strange sensation!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi exactly the same thing happened to us today on a brand new Mokka. We rang Vauxhall they checked brakes and rang us back saying the car was not safe to use on road. They are replacing the main braking cylinder. Not happy only done 3000 miles. Did you get yours sorted?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts