Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was in for some warranty work today ,i mentioned to the service manager the the brakes were dragging a bit . I get a call from service manager telling me rear discs have had it so will need changed along with new pads . Baring in mind this car has only done 32,000 miles ....

£980 + VAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO BLOODY THANKS

And they're not even gold plated

Edited by: sean62

·
Registered
211 Posts
And thats just for the back!!

I got a quote for my car which is a 12 plate with 36K and i got thesame price (£900) for the back and not much different for the front! I really dont know where they get their prices from as you can go to halfords auto centre and it £800 for front and back and free replacement pads!!I was told by my garage they could price match, but when i told them about the price i was quoted from halfords they just basically went silent!!

Vauxhall garage are very expensive and i dont really understand why?? They must be putting a huge mark up on their parts!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Always pays to shop around, that's for sure! Thankfully I'm a good bit off having to think about replacement brakes!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The quality of their parts must be sh*t if they only last 30,000 miles yet they still charge nigh on £1,000 for them ...what's that about .... This kind off rip off really pisses me off no end .

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got my front discs and pads replaced for 175 quid in August on mine. Rear near doing soon so will be hoping my friendly mechanic can do another good deal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
amdram said:
I got my front discs and pads replaced for 175 quid in August on mine. Rear near doing soon so will be hoping my friendly mechanic can do another good deal
Good mechanics are a rare breed nowadays , most garages employ fitters not mechanics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just after changing mine last week. Asked several VX dealers and they came back with 380-400 for the pads alone (front and rear). Then went to a friend who is a manager in Kwik Fit, they checked my pads and disks (front and rear) quoted 330 pounds. I'm happy enough. As well as that vauxhall wanted 40 pounds to adjust the electronic handbrake. In the garage they did it free of charge, I was talking to the mechanic and he adjusted it in 10 min.If anyone has a problem with electronic handbrake, in antara at the rear hubs there are rubber circles which pop out and you can adjust it with a large screw driver without any problem. My handbrake was holding the car facing downhill and wasn't if its facing uphill.
P.S. Changed pads and disks at 32k miles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I normally don't like going to Kwik Fit (some things are seriously over-priced) but when it comes to brakes and tyres I don't think I've found cheaper.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They are quite good, the only thing is that they take their time. I don't mind that as long as they get the work done correctly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've not really had that issue personally - they've been good time-wise with me, although I tend to book in and arrive first thing before people flood in! That said, with my Astra I was a good customer - between a service, tyres, brakes and and front pipe of exhaust I paid them almost a grand in the space of a few months...

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's quite a lot. But I'm sure VX themselves would have charged more :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Of that I am absolutely certain! Plus the brakes came with their lifetime guarantee, of course for that I think you sacrifice performance - the brakes had a very different feel to the ones that were on before that, and that's accounting for them being quite worn!

·
Registered
211 Posts
iv been sort of lucky at the moment, myAntaraison a 12 plate with36K on and all iv had to change is the pads.
I have rang around and the price varies from around the £400 to around double that!! If i go with VX then i could be paying £1700 which i cant see how they can justify that price!!

I would recon i have a few thousand miles left on my original brakes. I do tow a fair bit so that puts a bit more wear on the brakes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I took my car for its second service in July it had done only 11k, they said the brakes were 50% and the tyres was 6mm, I asked why the brakes were going down faster than the tyres, they had no answer, don't think I'll be trusting them when it comes to parts required....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I figure that the brakes are being used more because it's a heavier car, but might be wrong. I've noticed the difference in braking performance from my Astra to the Antara.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
QuZee said:
Just after changing mine last week. Asked several VX dealers and they came back with 380-400 for the pads alone (front and rear). Then went to a friend who is a manager in Kwik Fit, they checked my pads and disks (front and rear) quoted 330 pounds. I'm happy enough. As well as that vauxhall wanted 40 pounds to adjust the electronic handbrake. In the garage they did it free of charge, I was talking to the mechanic and he adjusted it in 10 min.If anyone has a problem with electronic handbrake, in antara at the rear hubs there are rubber circles which pop out and you can adjust it with a large screw driver without any problem. My handbrake was holding the car facing downhill and wasn't if its facing uphill.
P.S. Changed pads and disks at 32k miles.
Good to know. Any pics?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm planning fitting new discs/pads tomorrow ,has anyone on here done them ,if so anything to look out for . I read somewhere that it has to be connected to laptop to screw the piston back to accommodate the new discs and pads . Having to connect a laptop to do this seems strange unless it's something to do with the ABS in some way .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts