Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a bonnet guard for a while but at the weekend spotted one on eBay. Managed to find feedback from someone that had already purchased one and fitted to an Antara emailed him and he was happy with the product... so I placed an order, it arrived today and just finished fitting it so thought I would share some pictures..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Main reason it stops stones hitting your bonnet and therefore prevents chipping of paint work etc... main already has a few chips so hope this does the job

·
Registered
782 Posts
I would be worried about getting differential paint fading. Even with modern paints you still get some fading due to exposure to the sun. With the bra on the front, you are blocking the sun so it won't fade at the same rate as the rest of the bonnet.
How tight is it? Is there any possibility of it flapping a little and causing marks where it touches the bonnet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't think sun fad will be such an issue plus the guard sits a little off the actual bonnet. Its held on with 2 brackets in the middle that fit behind the grill and 4 clips at each end, the fit is really good and where there is any chance of anything hitting the bonnet you get 3m clear tape to apply so happy it will not scratch any paint work.
My wife also works for a autospray company and they have looked at it before I fitted and they were very impressed with the quality and precautions i.e. tape to protect paint work. They are now offering as a possible option to customers if enquiries are made so it must be pretty good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Old thread now but I've just acquired one of these and it appears to be OEM Holden by EGR made in Australia as a standard Holden accessory for the Captiva5 (which is an Antara), therefore it lines up perfectly, i.e. not some bodge job. It is not listed in EGR Autos' catalogue but is in the Holden one.

It is clipped and bolted on and seems pretty solid.
It is a translucent dark smoked acrylic and looks the part on black bodywork.

Main purpose for me is to see the front lip of the bonnet whilst driving: narrow lanes and turning in.

Edit - typo fixed "EGR" is now correct, not ECR

Addenda - I've found EGR's main website where they show some additional products, not a catalogue - http://egrautomotive.com/products - possibly be of interest to the side step boys because EGR probably make the OEM running boards for Holden.
Clue, the Holden Captiva5 /is/ an Antara, in fact the smaller Captiva is based on the Opel Antara, not the other way around. EGR bits are available in UK/Europe but one does have to hunt their part/distributors down.

Edited by: jefrs

·
Registered
137 Posts
Update - the EGR bonnet protector now fitted and it looks the biz.

To me it looks quite elegant. It is black on a black car and so doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
Simple to do, no-drill but idiotic pictogram instructions leaflet.

Car is reg Jan'13 so nearly 2yo and already well stone chipped at front of bonnet.
But like I said before main purpose for me is as driver's aid to see where the corners of the car are.

Edit for typo it is registered Jan 2013 (not 2012) so it is prolly a 2012 year model. I have arthritis which can make typing, creative ...

Edited by: jefrs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Markovich,

I have just fitted a bonnet guard sourced from sunny Poland. Since EGR no longer make them for Antara I looked further afield. Thought I had one from Holland but they were advertising things that they did not have. I put 'bonnet guard for Antara' in my search engine and up came this company. Was a little dubious but it has arrived and looks great on the car. Had to adapt some of the fittings but got there eventually.
Probably not as good quality as EGR but does the same job. Was dearer than EGR as well, but it seems the only one available so had to suck the mop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi All,Now I know why I failed 'O' level geography, would appear that my bonnet guard came from the Czech Republic not Poland. Sorry, but they used Polska Post so I assumed, and you know what they say about assume!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts