Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a bike rack for my Antara to carry two bikes. I know that you can buy the Vauxhall one that fits into the rear bumper but they are too expensive.
I am thinking about one that fits to the tailgate rather than on the roof but I also tow a caravan so would need to take that into consideration.
Has anybody bought one recently or have any suggestions?Edited by: vauxhallbitz

·
Registered
233 Posts
I go a lot of mountain biking, I would not recommend getting the carriers that fix to the tailgate. They work loose and can cause damage to the tailgate, especially where the straps hook on to. If you weren't towing a caravan I would recommend a towbar mounted carrier, I use a Thule one. But if you want to tow then I would recommend a roof mounted carrier. You would need to purchase cross bars as well. I carry up to 5 mountain bikes on my Antara, 3 on the tow bar mounted carrier and 2 on the roof. The only draw back with the roof mounted is you need a step ladder to reach the bike !!!....Can you not put the bikes in the caravan when you are towing it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Like "off road Doc" I have a Thule tow bar mounted rack. I also have a couple of roof bars with bike carriers that I carry up to four bikes on. Took three on the roof all the way to Cornwall in the summer with no problems. I have been looking at the carriers that sit on the draw bar of the caravan as my mate has one and it carries two bikes. Not so sure as you need to take the plastic cover off the draw bar to fit it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts