Antara Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Dilligaf said:
Dan said:
Dilligaf said:
Believe it or not Rover 400 1997. I bought it six months old and kept it for nine years. Cost me £900 for its 8th year service as it needed timing belts changing, a new battery and a suspension coil replacement. Every other service no problem. Very comfortable car to drive and part exchanged it with over 90, 000 on the clock.

I was just about to put Rover 400 down as the worst car I have ever owned! Unbelievable the amount of problems I had with it. 
There were 2 models of the 400 series and mine was the one they rebadged as the 45 and was a 2litre diesel.
It just proves how different the same model can be
I had a 53 ZT 1.8 turbo purchased new I loved it because it was great at hugging the bends when driving at speed that's when I was able to use a clutch and change gears hubby bought me for my 40th but it had a problem from the beginning oil leaked from the top end of the sill I think or top end of the engine, The dealers could never tighten up the bolts enough it still done it for the three years I had it ( the engine went just a month after it was three K series engine )
But the best car was the Ford Explorer we had that car for 13 years best 4x4
Edited by: wilma08

·
Registered
257 Posts
MMM difficult one as each car has had its merits and had a few over the years. last count was about 30 vehicles including bikes

sporty car 1977 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Also had scooby imprezza and lotus sunbeam
offroad Daewoo Korando 2.9TD fully lifted, rock sliders, locking diffs, winch and bullet proof old merc engine that ran on veg oil. also had land cruiser and landys
Comfort Cruising Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
Favourite all time little 1982 Mitsubishi Colt turbo hatchback went everywhere i asked it and places it wasnt designed for, whilst following rallys

·
Registered
78 Posts
I still own the best car I have ever drove. I have an Alfa Romeo Brera bought in 2009 with 5000 miles on it.

It has currently got 7000 miles on it and is the 'S' edition (number 139 of 500 released for the English market.)

3.2 V6 and Alpha tuned to 340 BHP

Sounds like hell on wheels under full throttle and handles like a dream

Edited by: jul3s

·
Registered
104 Posts
My son has a 4.3L V8 Lexus LS430 with Ultimate pack. I seem to keep finding reasons to use his car.

Even better sitting in the rear with the massage back rests and fridge between the seats...

·
Registered
390 Posts
The best car ever driven for fun was a Sunbeam Tiger 3 ltr and tyres about 5 inch wide that was fun.Best car owned was a Vauxhall 101 super estate, bench front seat and with the back seat down flat could fit a 3 piece suite in it, had some fun in that as well but not with a 3 piece in lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Easy. Every Landcruiser I have owned. However, best car and nicest car are different things. Best car as previously stated. Nicest car was the Fiat X19 2 seats mid engined. Put a smile on you face each and every time you turned the key. Except of course when you turned the key and it didn't start.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
wilma08 said:
Dilligaf said:
Dan said:
Dilligaf said:
Believe it or not Rover 400 1997. I bought it six months old and kept it for nine years. Cost me £900 for its 8th year service as it needed timing belts changing, a new battery and a suspension coil replacement. Every other service no problem. Very comfortable car to drive and part exchanged it with over 90, 000 on the clock.

I was just about to put Rover 400 down as the worst car I have ever owned! Unbelievable the amount of problems I had with it. 
There were 2 models of the 400 series and mine was the one they rebadged as the 45 and was a 2litre diesel.
It just proves how different the same model can be
I had a 53 ZT 1.8 turbo purchased new I loved it because it was great at hugging the bends when driving at speed that's when I was able to use a clutch and change gears hubby bought me for my 40th but it had a problem from the beginning oil leaked from the top end of the sill I think or top end of the engine, The dealers could never tighten up the bolts enough it still done it for the three years I had it ( the engine went just a month after it was three K series engine )
But the best car was the Ford Explorer we had that car for 13 years best 4x4
We also had a 2.6 v6 Vectra that was fun to

·
Registered
108 Posts
For me it was a humble Peugeot 205 GTI in red, what a drive, hard, fast and boy could it handle bends! Fortunately for me there wasn't that many speed cameras around when I owned that baby !!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
i think my best car is a very close joint when i was 21 way back had a vw jetta gti 16v tuned to 185bhp and loved that car but so did the theiving scum that took it and my last car a vectra sri cdti 16v tuned to 187bhp with full vxr pack including the 19 inch alloys for a diesel it flew nothing touched it due to the torque and still did 45mpg locally only bought antara for the 4x4 as in snow vectra was parked up and with a deaf austistic boy we needed to get anywhere anytime

·
Registered
390 Posts
That vectra looks good, we had a vectra 3ltr cdti Elite estate that was 184bhp with19" alloysand that was quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hard to call, had lots of fun cars, all with difference that suited the time or circumstance required. The few that I would pick out overall, when I was younger 16v Cavalier SRi, hell of a car at 19! Astra GTE 16v a few years later, such fun, but getting on a bit, wished I`d owned that first. Went through a descent V6 Calibra running N2O, that was quite fun, and very reliable.

Ventured to a Subaru for a try, failed at first, then discovered a JDM STi Spec C, 5 years of ownership, Sooo much fun, umpteen track days, Very strong and reliable despite the rep these cars have. My main problem was I kept snapping rear drive shafts, but it was at 448bhp and 1250kg by the end of it, fastest thing I`ve ever had, ran the quarter in high 11`s. Got too fussy for the road, so I swapped for my current VXR8, thought I would never better the impreza, but found out even with less speed you can have more fun, and actually be comfy whilst doing it too! A year later and I couldn`t decide between the two! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
the best car I ever owned is the one I have now, which Is a 1966 Jaguar S. Type 3.8 Manual in old English White. I work on it each winter to be able to take it to shows in the summer . Sorry tried to up load a picture of the jaguar but no luck !
Edited by: Chauffeur

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Best car we had ever driven without a doubt was the Ford Explorer that 4x4 was kept the longest we have ever kept a car and that was 13 years although it was low mileage the highest you would get was 24 miles to gallon the lowest would be around 17 or 18 miles to gallon so it was a guzzler on the petrol road tax was around £200 odd pounds but the comfort , and the drive ability of that car was exempt, loved that car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For me the best car I have ever owned was dealer demo 94 L plate Audi 80 sport, fantastic build quality never missed a beat in 5 yrs & 125k miles of ownership, interior and exterior looked as good as when I bought it much better than either the 320 or 190 I had owned previous both of which where good cars.
Having worked with motors most of my working life I have driven some really nice motors including supercars however the best car I have driven the car that always leaves a smile on my face is the MK1 MX-5.

The worst car I have ever owned was a 91 Mk2 cavalier 1600L only had it 2 months awful car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The best for me was a Vauhall Astra 2.0l Turbo old shape curvy one nippy good fun and good value.
I loved it so much that I got a couple of VXR astras for the next two cars ,even though they were quicker and designed to be more agile they were never as much fun as that 2.0l turbo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me it was the Vauxhall Signum 2.2 SRI great car to drive fast and fun. Not so easy to park long wheel base turning circle was awful.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Vauxhall 2.6 Vectra held the road well then there was the sirocco manta ( remember them ) MG ZT

·
Registered
59 Posts
best car car for me was my x-type jag 2.2 good on fuel 56 mpg on a run 40 mpg around town it had every thing in it. The only reason i sold it was that i changed my caravan and needed a bigger motor to tow

21 - 40 of 44 Posts