Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if any member knows ,does leaving the auto box in drive do it any harm ,say at traffic lights or road works.I generally engage N or P but I've got a feeling the missis just leaves it in D.cheers.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think you will cause wear on the clutch as the auto doesn't completely separate the clutch plates when you are stopped. That's why you have creep with auto boxes.
I always knock it into neutral if I'm going to be stopped for more than a few seconds.

Some automatics force the car into neutral when you stop. I remember having an auto Astra which did that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the replies, I had feeling it wasn't best to leave it in drive .The auto box is one of the antaras strong points ,it may be thirsty but silky smooth.cheers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My understanding is that most, if not all, automatics do not have clutch plates at all! What they have is a hydraulic device called a torque converter and this is what causes creep when stationary. It is this device that smoothes out what would otherwise be sudden gear changes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good link here from Rospa on Auto boxes with Torque convertor as fitted to Antara

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/automatic-gearboxes.aspx

an extract from itStops in traffic, at junctions and at traffic lights leave the selector in D. There is no need to move into neutral, as no damage will result. You may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances.

I would add, This however does not apply to the vehicles with an electronic gearboxIE DSG EGC etc these have a conventional clutch or two and preselect and change gears electronically and should be treated same as a manual.

Edited by: HoneyMonster

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
HoneyMonster said:
Good link here from Rospa on Auto boxes with Torque convertor as fitted to Antara 

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/automatic-gearboxes.aspx

an extract from it <span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">Stops in traffic, at junctions and at traffic lights leave the selector in D. There is no need to move into neutral, as no damage will result. You may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances.</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">I would add, This however does not apply to the vehicles with an electronic gearboxIE DSG EGC etc these have a conventional clutch or two and preselect and change gears electronically and should be treated same as a manual.</span>
Thanks
how's the car doing and more importantly how's you

·
Registered
257 Posts
All good by here :) if not just take more morphine then everything wonderful again :). Car doing brilliant, just watching day time temps and once consistantly below 10 degrees throw winter tyres on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No harm what so ever.

I've been driving an auto for well over 20 years.

So long as you are holding it on the brake and not using clutch creep as you might do for a hill start, you're ok. I stick my left foot on the brake and lift it like a clutch to pull away but the Antara has a brake-hold function that does the hill start thing for you.

But sticking it into N and putting the hand brake on will make the lights turn green.

Edited by: jefrs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.