Antara Owners Club banner

Antara Recall

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnnie Boy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I don't know if you are aware but there is a vehicle recall for the Vauxhall Antara dated on 21/09/12.

Unfortunately there are no build dates shown but the chassis numbers that appear are between :

W0LLA63F070082592 andW0LLA63TX70099597

The recall is for a braking issue.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp?tx=VOSA

#2 ·
If you look at the chassis numbers they refer to models manufactured in 2007.....i.e the tenth digit of the VIN numberis a 7.
The system changed in 2010 so the tenth digit of a 2010 manufacture would be A, 2011 would be B, 2012 would C and 2013 would D

#3 ·
That recall was for defective brake fluid.

"It is possible that a number of vehicles may have had the brake system filled
with the incorrect brake fluid, which can cause corrosion in the hydraulic ABS
modulator. This can cause internal valves to stick, which can result in possible
longer brake pedal travel. In extreme cases, this could result in increased
brake pedal travel and stopping distances."

#4 ·
piddy said:
If you look at the chassis numbers they refer to models manufactured in 2007.....i.e the tenth digit of the VIN numberis a 7.
The system changed in 2010 so the tenth digit of a 2010 manufacture would be A, 2011 would be B, 2012 would C and 2013 would D

I bow to your greater knowledge on the subject Piddy.

#5 ·
I learnt from a friend of mine who years ago bought a 1979 Fiat 131 Mirafiori, it wasn't till a couple of years later when he went tobuy some brake pads that he found out that this vehicle was actually manufactured in 1977 and had been in limbo till it was registered as new in 1979.
WhenI bought my Antara in late 2012I asked to see the chassis number beforeI parted with anymoney to make sure it was what it was supposed to be.

#6 ·
piddy said:
I learnt from a friend of mine who years ago bought a 1979 Fiat 131 Mirafiori, it wasn't till a couple of years later when he went tobuy some brake pads that he found out that this vehicle was actually manufactured in 1977 and had been in limbo till it was registered as new in 1979.
WhenI bought my Antara in late 2012I asked to see the chassis number beforeI parted with anymoney to make sure it was what it was supposed to be.

Wow Piddy

You do realize that there will be a whole load of Antara owners sneaking out to their cars in order to check their own cars chassis number.........personally I'll be back in five........honest, I'm just nipping round to the corner shop for some milk

#7 ·
It's unlikely any Antaras would havebeen lying around for too long. If there were, none of us would have had to wait months for a new one to be made in Korea and then shipped half way round the world just so we could moan about the DPF.

#8 ·
There is a realproblem with caravans as many are mis described in respect to their age eitheraccidentally or deliberately. A VIN number check is always a good idea.
I am bit surprised that people are waiting for Antaras when there are plenty around in the UK.I bought mine from a place inLeicershire, they had loads to choose from and even delivered it to London for me, I was only waiting for a week plus they wereextremely reasonable on price.

The link below is quite good

http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/car-facts/vin-numbers/vin-decode.do

Edited by: piddy

#9 ·
piddy said:
There is a realproblem with caravans as many are mis described in respect to their age eitheraccidentally or deliberately. A VIN number check is always a good idea.
I am bit surprised that people are waiting for Antaras when there are plenty around in the UK.I bought mine from a place inLeicershire, they had loads to choose from and even delivered it to London for me, I was only waiting for a week plus they wereextremely reasonable on price.

Hi Piddy, I totally agree with your synopsis of the situation but there can be a few things that need to be factored in.

On a personal level when I went in to my dealers, I was told that it would take around 5 months to supply my Antara as a "new" build but if I wanted a "stock" vehicle the wait could be as little as a few days. I did agree for them to see what they had but none of them matched what I was looking for.

There were 16 "stock" vehicles available to Arnold Clark at that time but of those, 7 were SE Nav's, 4 were Exclusiv 2WD's and 5 were either SE NAV or Exclusiv Automatics. Since I wanted an AWD Exclusiv manual, none of these sixteen cars suited me.

There were also a number of "pre-registered" cars available but that wasn't a route that I wanted to go down for various reasons.

#10 ·
Antarius said:
piddy said:
If you look at the chassis numbers they refer to models manufactured in 2007.....i.e the tenth digit of the VIN number is a 7.

I bow to your greater knowledge on the subject Piddy. 

Don't bow too far John, at your age you may struggle to get back up.

#13 ·
It does seem to vary a bit around the country.I wanted the 163 Exclusive AWD Manual with S/S and they had 8 of those available. It only took a week because it came from the factory, had I taken one the colours in stock it would have only been a couple of days.
Another dealer did try selling me a stock vehicle but it was old stock as it didn't have S/S.

#14 ·
Can anyone there advise me on the recalls for a 2013 2.2 se nav 16000 miles on the clock I have just bought one like the car very much but reading on your forum commentsI amvery concerned have read everything from brakes ,steering, starter motor to engine under shields going on fire I wondering if I have done the wrong thing buying it I really like the car and hadintended towing a caravan with it.?.

#15 ·
Hi Johnnie Boy. As with everything there is good and bad. I had mine 3 years, 2.2 SE Nav Auto, and hoping I'm not tempting fate it's never missed a beat. There have been a few recalls but always straightforward until this latest one which is a bit odd. They are not giving much away at the dealerships but read the main post on here and you can work it out. My own dealership didn't contact me but Bristol St call centre did. When I called my local Tony Le Voi they said it wasn't safety critical and could wait until I return from a European trip in it!
You've made a wise choice for towing and apart from the DPF and MPG groans you see on here it's a bloody comfortable car..
Hope this helps

#16 ·
Hi There F1Tony I am a bit new to this game and appreciate your comments I really like the car and travel about 50 miles every day so don't envisage any problems with DPF. MPG well you accept this when you by it.
Will get in touch with my local dealer re - recalls.

Thanks again for taking time to reply

#18 ·
Thanks for the reply Cadds.
looking forward to using the forum. With all the talk about engine bottom shields and fires I thought I had bought a load of trouble but so far the reply's have all been positive. I contacted our local dealer today and he has been very helpful have to phone him back after the weekend to book the car in he says any updates or any faults will be sorted out then .Thanks again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.