Antara Owners Club banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Sorry for reviving an old thread but it has pointed me in the right direction re a stuck rear passenger wheel. It can move back and to about an inch each way but is otherwise stuck. I find that the access hole is in the lower part of the cycle and, being stuck, I cannot move it to align with the parking brake adjuster. It's a bit of a circular problem!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry for reviving an old thread but it has pointed me in the right direction re a stuck rear passenger wheel. It can move back and to about an inch each way but is otherwise stuck. I find that the access hole is in the lower part of the cycle and, being stuck, I cannot move it to align with the parking brake adjuster. It's a bit of a circular problem!
Is your Antara a four wheel drive? If it is you might have to jack up both rear wheels to get either one to rotate freely.

Registered
Hi. Thanks for that suggestion. I decided that I needed to remove the brake disk but it was stuck on. I tapped all over for several minutes but couldn't loosen it. I put the wheel back on and gave it another go thinking all the tapping might have loosened the rust. After a vigorous turn it suddenly came loose to the point where the wheel was now able to turn around 90 degrees. As per the above post i thought this must be as a result of a differential issue. I tried to drive the car thinking that both rear wheels would now turn together but sadly the stuck on got to the limit of it's turn and just dragged. I then found this very useful video on how to remove a stuck brake disk

I used this method to remove the disk. Inside the drum I found a 2 inch piece of brake padding stuck to the drum. It had cracked off the brake with my vigorous turn but was now allowing movement from one pad to the other. I prised off the piece of disk, wound the adjustor to move the pads away from the drum, put it all back together and it was all ok re driving. The only issue now is I have no handbrake but I tend not to use it on my other automatic unless i am parking on quite a severe slope, which isn't often

Registered
Just wanted to say thank you for this post! Picked up my Antara from the dealer on Thursday, first time I had to use the handbrake on anything other than level ground today and it was like there was nothing there, despite a brand new MOT on Thursday morning.

This post and 30 minutes work saved me another 90 minute round trip and another day without a car!

Thanks again!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts