Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks , it's been one thing after another with this car recently . 08 antara s 2.0 cdti. It was parked up for a while because mot had expired I had tried to sell it but people were offering silly money without mot. To cut the saga short I mot d it and was putting it up for sale when the battery light came on . Thought maybe it was battery after lying up but it tests ok . The light goes out on startup and comes on about a minute later , only reading 11.8 and dropping on meter . Checked b pole on altenator and it's reading same as battery so obviously it's not producing anything. I have pulled the plug from the altenator which contains to wires. Am I correct in assuming that one of these carries the wake up signal to the altenator? Given that train of thought ,with ignition on and light meter clipped to neg in battery I should get a light at one of the two wires in plug? Or am I going about it the wrong way? If I'm correct and there is nothing showing on either wire where do I go from here? Picture of plug attached

TIA
Gerry

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar car with the same problem. I took it to the dealership and it was unresolved.
I have changed the alternator, the battery, and serviced the ECU and sensor.

I have had the gearbox serviced for over £2300 and yet the car is not working due to the warning light.

The battery falls below the voltage and can not drive for miles.

Any help or ideas?
I am contemplating selling, but the offers are ridiculously low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a similar car with the same problem. I took it to the dealership and it was unresolved.
I have changed the alternator, the battery, and serviced the ECU and sensor.

I have had the gearbox serviced for over £2300 and yet the car is not working due to the warning light.

The battery falls below the voltage and can not drive for miles.

Any help or ideas?
I am contemplating selling, but the offers are ridiculously low.
Have you checked the voltage on the battery with the engine running ? This should be 14volts plus . If it's not then its not charging and considering its a new altenator then I would check for a break or an issue with the exciter wire. The exciter wire carries a signal to the altenator which wakens it up when you start the engine, if it's broken then the altenator will not kick in. There could be an issue with the altenator earth wire or the battery cable. The positive coming from the altenator runs back to your starter and from there back to the battery check that connection . There are videos on altenator testing on you tube both testing the positive pole and the earth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts