Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I`ve nicked this idea direct from comments made by someone on the "Fuel Consumption" thread, so apologies for that, but I thought it merited a bit more discussion.

There seems to bea consensus in some parts, that adding 2T 2 Stroke Engine Oil such asCastrol Actevo,at a Ratio of something like 1:200, is beneficial to your engine in a number of ways, just one of which being that it improves Fuel Consumption. Thereseems to be arguments both for and against, with some people saying that where a DPF is fitted, it prolongs mileages between Regen`s, and makes the Regen Cycle shorter,others saying exactly the opposite, and that it actually blocks up your DPF !!. I`ve copied and pasted a post from another forum below, which I believe was written by a German chap. Apologies again, as it`s a bit long winded. I was wondering what the more Technically Knowledgeable folks on this Forum think, and obviously exclusively in respectsto the Vauxhall Antara??!! ; -

"Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%".

·
Registered
782 Posts
As good as this sounds, this is something I would never try on a car which is still within warranty. At least not without the express blessing of the car maker.
There's as many web postings for as there are against, but none of them seems to have any definitive evidence to say this has been officially tested and recommended by any car maker.

In my view, you would be taking a major risk in trying this without official proof it is safe and it works.

Edited by: Inchindown

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inchindown said:
As good as this sounds, this is something I would never try on a car that is still within warranty. At least not without the express blessing of the car maker.
There's as many web postings for as they're are against, but none of them seems to have any definitive evidence to say this has been officially tested and recommended by any car maker.

In my view, you would be taking a major risk in trying this without official proof it is safe and it works.
Shall I put you down as "undecided" then Inchy ??!!.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Isaac Hunt said:
Inchindown said:
As good as this sounds, this is something I would never try on a car that is still within warranty. At least not without the express blessing of the car maker.
There's as many web postings for as they're are against, but none of them seems to have any definitive evidence to say this has been officially tested and recommended by any car maker.

Shall I put you down as "undecided" then Inchy ??!!.
Yes. I prefer to sit on the fence.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Probably better using some millers fuel additive.

Iain (Honey Moster) swears by it and I have used it a few times and it seems like good stuff.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grumps said:
Probably better using some millers fuel additive.

Iain (Honey Moster) swears by it and I have used it a few times and it seems like good stuff.
Tried Millers Grumps, couldn`t see any benefit at all myself to be honest, just out of pocket for the price of buying it. Probably been better off just buyingan extra couple of gallons of Diesel!!.

Edited by: Isaac Hunt

·
Registered
233 Posts
No additive will give you better fuell comsuption but keeping the fuel system wil MAINTAIN your fuel comsuption......I have had a diesel now for a number of years and only on my last car did I have problems that was related to carbon build up. My RAV 4 T180 had a problem acknowleged by Toyota that they increase the engine warrant to 7 years due to the system choking up due to carbon build up. I had to have they EGR replaced twice so I looked into it. Keeping the system clean was they way to go. After cleaning the EGR, 6000 miles later EGR was clogged up again, engine light ,limp mode etc. I cleaned the egr but this time I added BG244 fuel after filling it up. After taking it for an "Italian decoke" !! the amount of black stuff that came out the exhaust was unbelievable. After that I would only run it on premium fuel and use bg244 every 6 months even though it recommends it is good for 10000 miles. This car was out of warranty except for the engine extension. I wont use this on the Antara...yet!!.as its under warranty and I never use supermarket fuels. I maybe ask at the dealers their views next time Iam passing. If you are concerned about carbon build up I would look at a proven cleaner rather than an additive or adding 2 stroke oil.

·
Registered
571 Posts
A mate of mine used to work on the fuel tankers and I live 3 miles from the local terminal .
It is joint owned by shell and Texaco, yet it supplies all the garages. From what I'm led to believe is that they all use the same fuel except they add different additives for their premium fuels.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Off Road Doc said:
No additive will give you better fuell comsuption but keeping the fuel system wil MAINTAIN your fuel comsuption......I have had a diesel now for a number of years and only on my last car did I have problems that was related to carbon build up. My RAV 4 T180 had a problem acknowleged by Toyota that they increase the engine warrant to 7 years due to the system choking up due to carbon build up. I had to have they EGR replaced twice so I looked into it. Keeping the system clean was they way to go. After cleaning the EGR, 6000 miles later EGR was clogged up again, engine light ,limp mode etc. I cleaned the egr but this time I added BG244 fuel after filling it up. After taking it for an "Italian decoke" !! the amount of black stuff that came out the exhaust was unbelievable. After that I would only run it on premium fuel and use bg244 every 6 months even though it recommends it is good for 10000 miles. This car was out of warranty except for the engine extension. I wont use this on the Antara...yet!!.as its under warranty and I never use supermarket fuels. I maybe ask at the dealers their views next time Iam passing. If you are concerned about carbon build up I would look at a proven cleaner rather than an additive or adding 2 stroke oil.
Interesting that about the EGR Valve on your Rav 4. My previous Motabilty Car was a 2009 Fiat Bravo 165 Diesel Sport, (dont ask !!), and it required 2 x new EGR Valves in my 3 x years of "ownership", and had only covered around 15k in total when I handed it back. I used no Fuel Additives of any kind with the Fiat, but boy, did it blow out some crap when you booted it a bit !!.

·
Registered
215 Posts
my son had a pug 307 diesel some years ago and a light came on his dash. so spoke to my dad, 82yrs young and always been a diesel fitter. so he read about it and the car had to be refilled with a serum additive. the cost then was approx 80 per gallon. it is in a separate tank next to the fuel tank. every time you take the fuel cap off to top up with fuel it releases approx 37ml into the diesel.this serum additives use is to lower the burning point of the carbon deposits from 900 degree to only 400 degree.the 1 gallon is expected to last between 45,000 to 60,000 miles.depending if you fill up with a fiver everyday or fill up once a week.
havent had time to work it out yet but will have a read up on it.
also it is a service item that pug will make you aware of when having it serviced

·
Registered
571 Posts
smino said:
my son had a pug 307 diesel some years ago and a light came on his dash. so spoke to my dad, 82yrs young and always been a diesel fitter. so he read about it and the car had to be refilled with a serum additive. the cost then was approx 80 per gallon. it is in a separate tank next to the fuel tank. every time you take the fuel cap off to top up with fuel it releases approx 37ml into the diesel.this serum additives use is to lower the burning point of the carbon deposits from 900 degree to only 400 degree.the 1 gallon is expected to last between 45,000 to 60,000 miles.depending if you fill up with a fiver everyday or fill up once a week.
havent had time to work it out yet but will have a read up on it.
also it is a service item that pug will make you aware of when having it serviced

Sounds just like my 407 .Never new it was there and never had to have it topped up in the 4yrs or 44,000 miles I had it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yes no body in pug had heard of it until my dad went to pug to buy some to add it to the tank.insted of paying £280 for pug to do it as you have to drop the fuel tank to get to the other additive tank. in the end he got some from a car parts for 80 and done the job for my son himself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
this was approx 4 years ago now so would imagine it cheaper .just have to find the right ratio to mix it. some geek some where may know. it called eolys additive.google it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts