Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2009 Antara 4x4 se this time last year, 30000 on the clock mint condition. So what has gone wrong with it to-date. Drop links, wheel bearing, wiper motor and yesterday UV joint on the prop shaft. Can't replace the UV joints as they are integral the the prop shaft, £1000 to replace. Do I still like the car, yes, one of the best tow cars I've had, good job a bought a good warranty when I purchased it. Here's hoping the second year is more trouble free.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you perhaps not think that the extra load of towing has accelerated wear on the UVs/prop-shaft?

Depending what you mean by drop links, the ones between anti-roll bar and steering are practically service parts as the rubber bushes wear.

Bearings, by 30k they should have been re-greased during service but I doubt they do that now, again they've become practically a service part.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a Cherokee before, that had 127000 on it when I got rid. Towed all over the place and had no prop shaft issues. Bearing in mind the prop shaft only turns when the rear wheel shows signs of slipping. Could be grease issues I suppose.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think we'll find that the prop shaft turns with the back axle but that it's just not powered all the time.

A wheel bearing takes the load of the vehicle. Some last forever and some don't. A brake rubbing gently will cause a bearing to overheat and dry out, or the cones have been over-tightened by a monkey with a spanner. They used to be serviced, hub stripped out, re-packed and adjusted. Nowadays it seems we wait till something breaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.