Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Antara for a little over two months now, and thought I would report my experiences with the car.

The first thing I want to say is I have had no major problems with the car since I first got it. I remember reading of some people who had, what appeared to be, serious problems with their new cars. Maybe I have just been lucky so far, but I can report that the car has been virtually perfect in the time I've had it. The only time I had to take it back to the dealer was to try to locate an annoying rattle coming from the boot area of the car. It turned out to be nothing more than the seat belt fitting banging against the rear door pillar. A bit embarrassing, but a lesson to others on the need to eliminate the obvious causes of problems before you think about sending your car to the workshop.

First thing I really liked about the car was the high driving position. My previous car was a Volvo XC70, and the extra height improves all round visibility by a considerable margin.

The engine has plenty of power and can accelerate well away from junctions. I would have preferred it if the gear ratios were a little lower. Not being able to get into top until you are above 60 seems a bit wasteful in a car of this type. Seems to me to be about 500 revs too high in each gear.

There was lots of talk, and moans, about fuel consumption before I got the car. I am happy to say, my fuel consumption has been just fine. Up to my last refill, my brim to brim consumption was around 31.5 mpg. Considering I have the SE Nav 184 Auto AWD, I consider that to be perfectly acceptable for a car of this size and weight, given the sort of driving I do. I'm currently trying to run a full tank of diesel using ECO mode to see if that provides any improvement.

The inside of the car is a well appointed as any car I've had. The leather seats are very comfortable and the adjustment give me a good driving position. There are a few complaints though.My car doesn't have a proper air conditioning system, only an air chiller and a heater. I don't mind that, but I find the heater to be very slow to heat up on colder mornings and the chiller seems a bit feeble in cooling the car down if it has been parked in the sun for a while.

The Touch & Connect SatNav is very basic, with few of the regular features you would find on even a low cost basic portable unit. The supplied map is relatively old, and the cost of updating is more than the cost of a half decent portable unit. I no longer use it, and have bought a new Garmin unit with free lifetime map updates.

I didn't like the tyres that were supplied with the car. I found them a little hard and could feel every bump on the road. I also found the feel of them going round tight corners on wet roads to be a little lacking in grip. So I bought a full set of Dunlop All Seasons Tyres and found it was like driving a different car. Much smoother over small bumps and very much more planted in tight or wet bends. I'm not saying there was any faults with the supplied tyres, this was a personal preference and I'm happy with my decision.

I added a few minor accessories to the car. These include, Mudflaps, Interior Mats, Boot liner and a bee sting aerial to replace the very long one supplied with the car. I also bought a proper spare wheel and jack, as I have no faith in the puncture repair kit.

I've now done about 2250 miles in the car. Most of my journeys are local and less than 5 miles. I tend to go out for a longer drive a couple of times a month or so. I get a DPF regeneration every 518 miles on average. So I've had four regenerations in the two months I've had the car. While I think Vauxhall have made a serious design flaw with the DPF system, my regenerations are sufficiently predictablethat I feel I can live with things as they are. My car is from Motability, and I have written a detailed email to them asking them to talk to Vauxhall about the problems which can arise with the DPF. As a major fleet buyer, they might have more clout with VX than an individual. I have asked for some clarity about the use of DPF cleaning products and the possibility of VX releasing an ECU update to improve the efficiency of the regeneration system. I'll report back if hear any further.

So, in conclusion, I have no major complaints about the car. It looks good, Has all the power I need for the way I drive and the car is a pleasure to drive around the Highland roads. There are certainly some aspects of the car, and the various functions, that I would have preferred they had done differently. No doubt VX were working to a price point in the design and construction of this car. So the things I would have liked would likely have added a chunk of money to the price.

My experience over the last two months has been positive. I wouldn't want to make light of anyone who has had problems but, for me, this car has performed better than I had anticipated prior to taking delivery. Compared to the problems I had with my Volvo when it was new, this car has been a delight.

I can honestly say I have no problems in recommending this car. It's a great car, a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Inchy, thanks for the write up it is very informative.
I'm pleased that you are happy with your Antara and had no major problems with it. Your tyres are certainly proving to be a wise choice and I shall be monitoring how they perform in both summer and winter. Keep the good reports going. Andy.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Crikey Inch that is quite a few miles compare to me i have had my car for about 2 1/2 weeks all i have done is 370 miles (maybe because i have not been well) i am glad you find this car u to standard apart from the tyre's and sat nav, i do agree with you in regards to the design flaw in the DPF,I wondered how you car does not have the dual air con system as mine does
do you have the heated seats
if you are in pain it works well for my lower back

I like my car or even love it and have not fund any problems yet, have to wait until i go further journeys, like download and a driving holiday we have organised for the summer ( as my daughter wants to holiday with the dog,
instead of going to Italy)

You have given a full and honest review which is good to see

·
Registered
195 Posts
Gear ratiosdefinitely too high. Ive got into the habit of switching over to manual as half the time im in third gear (wasting precious diesel) when it should be in fourth!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wilma08 said:
Crikey Inch that is quite a few miles compare to me i have had my car for about 2 1/2 weeks all i have done is 370 miles (maybe because i have not been well) i am glad you find this car u to standard apart from the tyre's and sat nav, i do agree with you in regards to the design flaw in the DPF,I wondered how you car does not have the dual air con system as mine does

I like my car or even love it and have not fund any problems yet, have to wait until i go further journeys, like download and a driving holiday we have organised for the summer ( as my daughter wants to holiday with the dog,

I do have the heated seats, but I only have the basic aircon system. My car was ordered back in October last year, so I'm wondering if dual zone aircon was introduced sometime after that. To be honest, I'm not really moaning about the aircon itself, I've always thought dual zone aircon to be a bit of a waste of time,I'm more bothered with how slow the heater is to heat up the car on cold mornings and the air cooler being a bit feeble when the inside of the car is hot.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Inchindown said:
wilma08 said:
Crikey Inch that is quite a few miles compare to me i have had my car for about 2 1/2 weeks all i have done is 370 miles (maybe because i have not been well) i am glad you find this car u to standard apart from the tyre's and sat nav, i do agree with you in regards to the design flaw in the DPF, I wondered how you car does not have the dual air con system as mine does

I do have the heated seats, but I only have the basic aircon system. My car was ordered back in October last year, so I'm wondering if dual zone aircon was introduced sometime after that. To be honest, I'm not really moaning about the aircon itself, I've always thought dual zone aircon to be a bit of a waste of time, I'm more bothered with how slow the heater is to heat up the car on cold mornings and the air cooler being a bit feeble when the inside of the car is hot.
Try to use the air conn when demisting with the heat up not more the 24c
I like the dual zone because I am always warm , but hubby and daughter are always cold so I can have my side the way I want it
Edited by: wilma08

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Inchindown
I ordered my Antara in Dec 12, the spec was top spec, Motobility review the available vehicles every 3 months and just before I placed my order I asked the salesman & motability if someone had f***ed up with the spec for the Antara SENav 184 Auto, being the top spec for that vehicle, so if you placed your order in Oct 12, you should have the same spec as Wilma and myself, though wilma's white has no chance for looks against my smoky grey lol, no offense wilma.

Its worth checking with motability and your dealer, I have always had SAAB's with dual climate control and think it is very good.

Let me know if you contact the dealer or motability and what they say.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hi David you cheeky Monkey
I ordered mine on the 18th December 2012 after months of should I say it on this male orientated web site
a well I will be brave and say Nagging my husband for yes you guessed it a WHITE car and no offence taken,
just sorrow

The spec is really good on the SENAv and across the board

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

Just curious - you bought some new tyres even though you have a car (like we do) from the Motability scheme? Hence replacements are free, once they are worn enough.

How can I spot, notice the DPF issue you refer to?

Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Johnny Boy said:
Hi,

Just curious - you bought some new tyres even though you have a car (like we do) from the Motability scheme? Hence replacements are free, once they are worn enough.

How can I spot, notice the DPF issue you refer to?

Thanks,
JB
I bought the replacement tyres at my own expense, and Motability will not pay for any repair or replacement of the tyres I purchased. I will also have to get the original tyres put back on the car when it comes time to hand the car back in 3 years time.

Here are some details I posted in another thread on how to know a regeneration is taking place.

On the SE Nav, the usual way of knowing you have a regeneration in progress is by changes to the figures in your board computer display.

The first thing I usually notice is the instantaneous MPG figure drops from what ever it was normally. So on a flat stretch of road that might be a drop from 40+ to less than 30 mpg.

Then when you take your foot of the accelerator, the instant figure will show less than 100 mpg instead of the usual 999.9 mpg

The third indicator is when you stop at junction, traffic lights or the driveway, the Instant MPG figure with show around 0.7 Gal/ Per Hour instead of the usual 0.1 or 0.2.

When you get these indicators, it will take up to 20 minutes of driving with the revs above 2000. Not sure if revving while stationary will get the job done. The manual recommends you drive above 30 mph with the revs above 2000.

Once the regeneration is over, the BC figures will go back to their normal values.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts