Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had my Antara SE Nav 184 Auto Silver/Black, for a week now and I thought I'd post a few notes on how I've got on.

I haven't done a long trip in the car yet, just a couple of runs of 50 and 70 miles on a mixture of A and B roads and the rest of my miles have been around town.

I filled up the tank this morning with the trip computer on 319.1 miles since the first fill up last week.

It took 48.5 litres to the brim.

The trip computer was saying my average consumption was 29.5 mpg.

The brim to brim calculation gave me a figure of 29.9 mpg.

These figures are on a par with my old Volvo XC70 for similar driving.

So for a heavy car with an auto transmission to lug around, I think those figures are pretty good. Especially when the car is still new and everything is tight. I would expect those figures to improve over the next few months. I've done more town driving this week than on the open road. I normally don't do as much town driving each week as I have done this week, so I would expect my normal driving routine would give a figure above 30 mpg.

As to the car it's self.

Given there was lots of talk and reports of problems from other owners before I got mine, I had a few worries as to how the Antara was going to perform. Now that I have it, I can honestly say I've not had any major problems with the car. No sign of a DPF regeneration - yet.

The car looks good. The driving position is marvellous. The interior is first class, no rattles or squeaks - yet.

The engine is very powerful and is almost as quick at accelerating away from a junction as my Volvo was. There's plenty of punch when it comes to overtaking, although you need to give it some welly if you are trying to overtake up a hill.

The brakes are man enough to handle such a heavy car, and have no problem bringing the car to a stand still for an emergency stop. It certainly keeps the car under control and makes you feel the car is good enough to keep you safe.

The driving experience is very good. The seats are firm but still comfortable. They have good lumber support and you don't get thrown from side to side during cornering. On the couple of longer journeys I've done so far, I've felt very relaxed. The car is quiet with very little external noise.

I find the car very stable in corners. There is not as much body roll as I would have expected from such a tall car. You really feel planted to the road.

As for all the little gadgets, I'm still trying to get to grips with them. The menu systems don't seem all that intuitive, but I'm sure I'll get used to them in time.

Couple of things I don't like. (Not in any particular order).

The parking sensors don't mute the music when you are approaching an obstacle, so you can't really hear the beeps. Not sure if I'm missing a setting there though. Also I'm not clear if it's possible to have the front sensor on all the time. At the moment I have to turn it on just before I'm about to approach an obstacle. Need to have a read up on that section.

I really wish the folding mirrors had been made to fold/unfold automatically. I've lost count of the number of times I've driven off with the mirrors still folded.

I'm not impressed by the Climate control. It's not dual zone. It takes some time to get up to temperature, not helped by not having any indication of what the internal temperature is. The buttons are not the easiest to operate, especially when you are moving.

The orange coloured display at the top is totally black to me most of the time. This is down to me wearing Polarising sunglasses when I drive. The glasses must be blocking the light coming from the display and I have to move my head around or briefly take the glasses off if I want to check out the display.

The cruise control works OK, but I would have liked it if it showed a numerical value for the speed you have set. As it is, you just have to eyeball the speedo to verify your speed.

None of these things are really faults with the car, just a little annoying.

So my brief first impression is of a car that meets my needs and has performed well in the environment I will be using it in. It's comfortable, powerful enough to keep you out of trouble and certainly performs ten times better than any of the professional reviews I've read would have you believe.

I will be taking it out tomorrow for a longer run. Probably up to John O'Groats and back. That's about a 200 mile round trip for me. It's mainly on the A9 and through a few small country towns. There are a few very steep hills so should get an idea of how well it handles those. Not expecting a great MPG for the trip, as a lot of the road is narrow, winding and hilly. But it will give me a better idea on how the car, and me, handles a longer journey.

Wish me luck.Edited by: Inchindown

·
Registered
659 Posts
Afternoon Inchindown.

Brilliant and comprehensive review of your first week's ownership and the Antara itself.

Personally I can't find fault with anything that you have written and I totally agree that generally the Antara "faults" aren't really faults but more annoyance that it could be better.

My one gripe is the breadth of the seat. I am not a "slim Jim" nor a "Fat Cat" but I find myself sitting right on the edge of the seat. Every time that I get into the drive's seat, I consciously check my posture and "default" sitting position. Compared to the Ford Kuga, I find the Antara seats are considerably narrower.

I hope the weather is kind tomorrow and that you have a lovely drive north. Its a beautiful part of the world and I have no doubt that you'll be able to share a few photos on your return.

Drive safe and good luck tomorrow

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
That's a fair assessment and can't argue with any if that.

A couple of things that might help if you go into the display settings you can select a day/night mode for the display. Basically the display is reversed so its bright orange with dark text and when the headlights come on or don't in the Antaras case its changes to the dark display with orange text for night time.

For some reason Vauxhall leave it on the night mode all the time but I like the bright display during the day so I use it.

As for the parking sensors their is no way or having them on all the time. They do come on automatically when when you start the car and if you stop the car and select reverse but if you pull into a parking space yo need to press the button to switch them on.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Dilligaf said:
I thought being an ex-policeman (person) ) that you would be used to driving on the edge of your seat.

Good retort Dillgaf.....well said

Personally I hated using the "blue" lights as I found that most drivers tended to panic when they saw them approaching in their rear view mirrors. Unfortunately at the time that I was doing general duties, there was no facility to use the sirens without the lights as both worked off of the same switch.

I tended to turn them off and on as needed during a high speed pursuit or when I was trying to get quickly to an incident. On many occasions during the latter, another unit would arrive before me and cancel all others from attending because it was a FAGI (False Alarm with Good Intent).

That then created the illusion that the Police were using the lights and sirens to get their breakfast as it always seemed to happen around "shop" opening times which was also around the time of the first break for Police Officers, who would then stop at a nearby coffee shop or bakery to collect breakfast.

Oh and one other thing Dilligaf and I don't mention it to make you or other members to be reduced to tears at the thought of it but the Police are not necessarily entitled to a break during their tour of duty.

At the beginning of each shift, Police Officers are allocated a 45 minute time slot where they are supposed to take a "meal" break. However if during their allocated time slot, they are either sent to or involved in an incident, they will lose that entitlement if they are still at an incident by the time that the slot ends.

Those Officers who have been allocated the second time slot and who have not been sent to or are involved in an incident, take priority over those on the "first break". It is simply a case of numbers as the powers that be demand at minimum of 50% of Officers being available at any given time.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Antarius said:
Afternoon Inchindown.

Brilliant and comprehensive review of your first week's ownership and the Antara itself.

Personally I can't find fault with anything that you have written and I totally agree that generally the Antara "faults" aren't really faults but more annoyance that it could be better.

My one gripe is the breadth of the seat. I am not a "slim Jim" nor a "Fat Cat" but I find myself sitting right on the edge of the seat. Every time that I get into the drive's seat, I consciously check my posture and "default" sitting position. Compared to the Ford Kuga, I find the Antara seats are considerably narrower.

I hope the weather is kind tomorrow and that you have a lovely drive north. Its a beautiful part of the world and I have no doubt that you'll be able to share a few photos on your return.

Drive safe and good luck tomorrow 
I'm a bit broad on the beam myself, but I find the seat is a good fit for my behind. I suppose time will tell once the seat has aged a bit, but for now the seats are comfortable enough for me.

Maybe you need to go and get a butt lift.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I'm not sure parking sensors on all the time would be a good thing. You would end up with it beeping when approaching traffic or stopped at traffic lights etc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan said:
I'm not sure parking sensors on all the time would be a good thing. You would end up with it beeping when approaching traffic or stopped at traffic lights etc.
On my previous car, the sensors were active all the time below a certain speed. But I never had any occasion when it became a problem in traffic or at the lights.

I suppose it depends on how close you choose to get in those circumstances. I prefer to give the car in front a bit of room in case they roll back or the driver puts it in reverse instead of first.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I prefer to nudge them on when the lights turn green

Only joking! - what range do they have do you know? I do leave a gap but have never tested to see if the sensors would go off. I just assumed they would.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan said:

Only joking! - what range do they have do you know? I do leave a gap but have never tested to see if the sensors would go off. I just assumed they would. 
Haven't tested that yet, but I'll be out at the car after dinner to check it over for tomorrow's trip. So I'll have a look at that.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When I was out this morning I got caught up at a queue caused by temporary traffic lights. The front sensors detected the car in front as normal but the tone stopped as soon as I applied the electronic handbrake.

It took two turns or the lights for me to get through and as soon as I moved on, the sensors activated again until I reapplied the handbrake.

Eventually I just turned them off.

Obviously the rear sensors didn't activate as the reverse gear had not been selected.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan said:

Just had a look at the maximum range of the sensors.

The front was about 3 feet and the rear was about 6 feet. that was tested on a flat surface and also a 5 bar farm gate. Both had the same distances.

You really shouldn't be within 3 feet of the car in front, even if waiting in traffic or at the lights, so there shouldn't be a problem with the beeping.

From what I understand about the rear sensor is they only go off if you are in reverse. So there shouldn't be a problem with them going off if you get a car too close behind you when your sitting in traffic. If I'm wrong about that, I stand to be corrected.

I don't find it easy to distinguish between the sound of the rear and front sensor beeps. I miss the graphical display I had in my Volvo which showed you which sensor was causing the beep. I can see this might be confusing when you are trying to park in a tight space between a couple of cars.Edited by: Inchindown

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good assessment that Inchindown. Iam glad you are enjoying you new Antara. We had a drive upto Ullapool in ours, very nice drive all the way there and back including a few forest trails, Im sure your drive up to John O Groats will be just as pleasent.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Antarius said:
Dilligaf said:
I thought being an ex-policeman (person) ) that you would be used to driving on the edge of your seat.

Good retort Dillgaf.....well said 

Personally I hated using the "blue" lights as I found that most drivers tended to panic when they saw them approaching in their rear view mirrors. Unfortunately at the time that I was doing general duties, there was no facility to use the sirens without the lights as both worked off of the same switch.

I tended to turn them off and on as needed during a high speed pursuit or when I was trying to get quickly to an incident. On many occasions during the latter, another unit would arrive before me and cancel all others from attending because it was a FAGI (False Alarm with Good Intent).

That then created the illusion that the Police were using the lights and sirens to get their breakfast as it always seemed to happen around "shop" opening times which was also around the time of the first break for Police Officers, who would then stop at a nearby coffee shop or bakery to collect breakfast.

Oh and one other thing Dilligaf and I don't mention it to make you or other members to be reduced to tears at the thought of it but the Police are not necessarily entitled to a break during their tour of duty. 
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">At the beginning of each shift, Police Officers are allocated a 45 minute time slot where they are supposed to take a "meal" break. However if during their allocated time slot, they are either sent to or involved in an incident, they will lose that entitlement if they are still at an incident by the time that the slot ends.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Those Officers who have been allocated the second time slot and who have not been sent to or are involved in an incident, take priority over those on the "first break". It is simply a case of numbers as the powers that be demand at minimum of 50% of Officers being available at any given time.</span>
My wife's a nurse and does 12.5 hr shifts which is supposed to include a 1hr brk and 2 15 mins, most times she gets none but does not get paid for the hr. The manager says time management but they are always under staffed so lose out.
Back to blues and twos, the standard of most drivers and training is very poor and so they panic when emergency vehicles approach.
Most times I see police fly past, I secretly know they're off to tea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great review.
Im one day into ownership.

The only annoyances I have found are that the climate control on my Astra was displayed in the GID screen and also what blowers were selected was shown.Not so on the Antara

And you cant stream music via bluetooth you have to plug in via USB

Going well so far though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re, the distance to the car in front. A good tip I got on an advanced driving course was to leave a small bit of tarmac on view behind the car in front's rear wheels. If you do this, you will have left enough space to get yourself out of trouble if the car in front breaks down or rolls back a bit ona hill. It works for me and my sensors don't go off which is a bonus.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My husband is a nurse he to does 12.5 hr shifts and 2fifteen min breaks but this does not always happen, I to was a nurse for many years the pay and breaks were terrible and management were one sided as they did not have to deal with half the crap the nurses.
Rant finished

·
Registered
659 Posts
wilma08 said:
My husband is a nurse he to does 12.5 hr shifts and 2fifteen min breaks but this does not always happen, I to was a nurse for many years the pay and breaks were terrible and management were one sided as they did not have to deal with half the crap the nurses.
Rant finished

Kudos to you both

There are many jobs where people from outwith a particular vocation, will make reference to the fact that they don't understand how others can do that particular job and for me, nursing is one of those.

It really is a labour of love. Terrible wages, terrible working conditions and being managed by people who have no front line experience of what the job is about or entails would be enough for me to tell them where they could put the job but most nurses are above that.

I was in the Police for 30 years and had first hand experience of what the nursing staff had to endure on duty, whether it was physical violence, offensive language or obscene suggestions.

However the professional attitude of these nurses meant that they could rise above it all and continue to provide an excellent service that is acknowledged by most but sadly not by their bosses.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Antarius said:
wilma08 said:
Rant finished

Kudos to you both 

There are many jobs where people from outwith a particular vocation, will make reference to the fact that they don't understand how others can do that particular job and for me, nursing is one of those.

It really is a labour of love. Terrible wages, terrible working conditions and being managed by people who have no front line experience of what the job is about or entails would be enough for me to tell them where they could put the job but most nurses are above that.

I was in the Police for 30 years and had first hand experience of what the nursing staff had to endure on duty, whether it was physical violence, offensive language or obscene suggestions.

However the professional attitude of these nurses meant that they could rise above it all and continue to provide an excellent service that is acknowledged by most but sadly not by their bosses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.