Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
If your Antara version is the All-Wheel Drive (AWD) and not the Front Wheel Drive (FWD) then, due to the 'Stability' systemit can often be necessary to change all tyres at the same time.
I seem to recall somewhere that any significant difference in tread depth between wheels can have a detrimental effect on this steering safety system and cause it to constantly compensate for what the car sees as an imbalance/instability in the driving, as the difference in circumference causes the ECU to perceive slight variation in wheel rotating speeds, such as is experienced during a slide/skid.
Armed with that knowledge I have always rotated my 4x4 tyres to opposite diagonals at around every 10K miles covered. I did it with our last Antara and shall continue to do so with this one.

I don't think it's such a problem with a manually activated 4WD, such aswithmyIsuzu Trooper but, on an automatic 80-20 front/rear system (or equivalent) like the Antara, monitoring your tyres to ensure even wear becomes a factor in stretching out the period between expensive tyre changes.

I hope that helps!?

-LaZ-

(PS: I never added those blue 'advert' hyperlinks, it seems to be an unwelcome consequence of having this site hosted on an advertsponsored server)

Edited by: Lazarus

·
Registered
213 Posts
I probably didn't express my self clearly there - I think there is an 'acceptable'margin whereby there is no effect on the stability system. Monitoring the tyres and swapping them round whilst there is negligable difference keeps them wearing at around the same level, rather than waiting until you have 4-6mm difference, which I believe is where the problems begin. As I said, I use 10K as a marker. My local garage swaps them around free of charge.

-LaZ-

PS: I don't use those crap locking bolts either; I got them replaced by standard bolts at the point of sale - it makes changing wheels so much easier (plus they are so cheap nowadays that nobody nicks alloy wheels anymore).

Edited by: Lazarus

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.