Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have the antara diamond 4x4 however as i understand it generally its a front wheel drive unless it kicks into 4x4.

Starting to get the fronts worn down and in need of replacing and im considering all weather or winters, the rears still have plenty of tread so my question is can the two fronts me all weather/winters leaving the standard dunlops on the back?

Thanks
'66

·
Registered
213 Posts
If your Antara version is the All-Wheel Drive (AWD) and not the Front Wheel Drive (FWD) then, due to the 'Stability' systemit can often be necessary to change all tyres at the same time.
I seem to recall somewhere that any significant difference in tread depth between wheels can have a detrimental effect on this steering safety system and cause it to constantly compensate for what the car sees as an imbalance/instability in the driving, as the difference in circumference causes the ECU to perceive slight variation in wheel rotating speeds, such as is experienced during a slide/skid.
Armed with that knowledge I have always rotated my 4x4 tyres to opposite diagonals at around every 10K miles covered. I did it with our last Antara and shall continue to do so with this one.

I don't think it's such a problem with a manually activated 4WD, such aswithmyIsuzu Trooper but, on an automatic 80-20 front/rear system (or equivalent) like the Antara, monitoring your tyres to ensure even wear becomes a factor in stretching out the period between expensive tyre changes.

I hope that helps!?

-LaZ-

(PS: I never added those blue 'advert' hyperlinks, it seems to be an unwelcome consequence of having this site hosted on an advertsponsored server)

Edited by: Lazarus

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been watching front my tyres and i have to admit i was going to change the fronts and leave the backs as they havent gone down as much. BUT since you have said that i might just change them over and put my backs on the front and just get some new tyres later on in the year.The statement you have said about the tyre wear, well if you think about it logically if you swap your tyres around and put your fronts on the back surly it will do the same thing as the front tyres will be more worn the back ones!??
The tyre i have on mine are all weather michelin lapitude cross's and they are brilliant!! I have got over 12k on the fronts and they are still going strong! BUT be aware they are not cheap at £160 per tyre!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I probably didn't express my self clearly there - I think there is an 'acceptable'margin whereby there is no effect on the stability system. Monitoring the tyres and swapping them round whilst there is negligable difference keeps them wearing at around the same level, rather than waiting until you have 4-6mm difference, which I believe is where the problems begin. As I said, I use 10K as a marker. My local garage swaps them around free of charge.

-LaZ-

PS: I don't use those crap locking bolts either; I got them replaced by standard bolts at the point of sale - it makes changing wheels so much easier (plus they are so cheap nowadays that nobody nicks alloy wheels anymore).

Edited by: Lazarus

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is generally a bad idea to have a completely different type of tyre front and back, it can destabilise the car in corners, regardless of whether it is 4wd or awd. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes it is downright dangerous.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you are still under warranty I would ask dealer before mixing winter and Summer tyres. If you get a diff or transmission problem with them on car you could be in trouble. If you are out of warranty I would not still mix summer and winter as the grip level will be different and could catch you out if cornering fast. You should be ok with different brands front and back but keep the same on each axel .
The probelem with different brands is the diameter can be slightly different and give the ABS sensor odd readings.
A mate has a bmw x3 and after changing brands had warning lights on so had to go back to bmw recommended brand. I have driven my Antara with one odd wheel and tyre on and did not get a warning light so the vauxhall system must be less hi tec

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you have the Factory Hankooks then they are summer tyres - perfectly horrible in the cold once the corners have gone off the fronts. And the fronts will wear out first, front-left probably first to go due to roundabouts.

If you are changing to all-season (M+S) tyres then you should replace all four, must really or it will handle like a cow. Note that M+S are all-year and not full-on winter tyres which we hardly need in Britain, those are for alpine and nordic use (compulsory there too).

The Antara may be a German design but its ESC/ABS systems are not as stupid as BMW.

If you rotate modern tyres then you must keep them rotating in the same direction, switch front to back but not swap sides, they may well have directional arrows on them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thepieshop66 said:
Thanks for all your replies everyone.

My antara currently has dunlop sp sports on. Can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced all weather tyre for 235/55/r18?

Thanks
'66
Dunno, reasonably priced or reasonably safe, you choose?

Me, I've just replaced the Hankook summers because the fronts had gone off, with a full set of four Conti 4x4 Contacts which are "M+S" all-weather/all-seasons. Whilst M+S are "mud and snow" and will work when cold, they are not true winter tyres (which are useless in summer).

I had legal wear left in the Hankooks but I know from experience that once the corners of the fronts have gone off of any tyres, they can become very exciting when least wanted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.