Antara Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,tomorrow evening will be my 1st tow with the antara and caravan bought a cheap and cheerful bailey of eBay .So here goes m18 m180 to cleethorpes a very easy stretch of motorway ,it's a bit of a trial weekend for us ,weather doesn't look to good but see how it goes.The mrs seems to be trying to test the antara by taking so much gear I keep asking myself is it a week or weekend we're going for! Thinking of using the manual side of the auto on the A and B roads and auto on the motorway .cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Webster - just take your time and all should be well the Antara is a great tow car. I have a 57 plate auto to pull our 1435kg Swift and in the main I just let the auto box do its thing as the ratios are quite good. Tend to use the manual side just on steeper inclines on A and B roads.
Have a great weekend

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers amdram can't see any problems ,fingers crossed .T minus 60Edited by: Webster

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update,the towing went very well ,the auto does it very easy no real need to use the manual.The mpg is a different matter bc average was 19mpg which is bad as 98% of the journey is flat motorway and that 98% was with cruise on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Webster - not sure which model you have but my older 2.0CDTI gives average of around 21mpg in mixed driving with the van on the back. I knew about the poor mpg when I bought the car but when factored against the much lower purchase and the equip level against other similar 4x4s I was happy to do the deal.
The car tows so well and I enjoy driving it that I accept the low mpg - it is after all probably towing around 3.5tons with the van on the back!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI amdram ,mines the same engine and I agree with your points about price,equipment and other capabilities .The antara will only cover 5000 miles a year so consumption was never an issue ,but it was a big drop that did surprise me,not sure of the vans weight but it towed with ease.I seem to have caught the caravan bug after this maiden voyage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts