Antara Owners Club banner

Manual 6 speed gearbox oil filler plug

4K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Richy 
#1 ·
I have removed the battery and think I can see the filler plug underneath the battery box. It does seem that the fuse box and other components have to be moved aside to get at it. I would be grateful for some advice and pictures if possible on this matter. Also is there an oil level plug anywhere?
I hope someone her can be of assistance.

#2 ·
Hi John

I have removed my fuse box several times, it is a little tricky. Without looking at it its difficult to remember how it came apart.

I think you need to remove the fuse box before you remove the battery tray. Then just place to one side.
Think there are some bolts under the lid, gradually loosen these and lift the top of the fuse box, might be a plastic clip you have to release. The bolts are captive in the top of the fuse box so go gentle. Once the top of the fuse box has been lifted with the harness cables still attached you can then get access to the bolts underneath, undo the bolts in the bottom fuse box tray and where connected to the inner wing/fluid bottle(think), then the bottom of the box can be lifted away. You can then undo the bolts to the battery tray and lift it clear. The filler plug is then clear to undo and place a tube in to fill. Apparently their is a level plug on the side of the gearbox but I have never found it in any case you cannot use it because Vauxhall changed the gearbox volume of oil so the level plug is in the wrong place. Think the volume is something like 2.2 -2.4 litres. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox to empty the oil out. When the battery is reconnected you just need to change the settings on the centre display back to UK units.

#3 ·
Thanks Richy for that very helpful explanation.
I did look at the possibility of drilling out the spot weld that holds the fuse box bracket to the tray and replacing with a bolt. This would avoid messing with the fuses now and in the future.
My drill is to big for the task so may look into a right angled attachment for it.
Your opinion on whether you think there may be a snag in doing so would be appreciated. I have had the battery off twice but have not driven the vehicle so I have not noticed the display. Thanks for that tip as well.

#4 ·
No definately no need to take an angle grinder to the car, that would be the wrong thing to do.
Its not that difficult, just be careful when removing the (think 3) bolts in the top of the fuse box they are captive, so as loosened they force the top of the fuse box up, just make sure nothing else is holding the top of the fuse box down, like plastic clips etc. I also now think there is a bolted connection in the corner of the top of the fuse box, undo this first. Of course disconnect the battery before you start.

I may of given you the wrong impression, its not that difficult and if you take your time and are competent their is no risk, had mine off at least twice, first when I replaced the gearbox oil and then when I changed the starter which involved me changing the gearbox oil again. Must have the cleanest gearbox oil out there. Richy

#7 ·
Hi John, In my opinion they make an impressive towcar. 1st & 2nd gear is very low ratio for hill starts and pulling away, loads of storage space under the boot floor, my caravan is in storage, everything needed for towing the caravan is stored in the car, mostly under the floor but also the boot side pockets are excellent for holding things like mirrors, towbar cover and tools for lifting the legs. So to collect the caravan I don't need to lift the boot floor. The car also has self levelling suspension, so the car boot is packed with plastic storage containers with all food etc that we need for the holiday, so we drive up, hitch up and away. perfect. I guessing a Discovery 4 would be better but hey for the money you can't go wrong in my opinion. Richy

#8 ·
Please to hear that the Antara is good for towing Richie. I did remove the battery tray this morning, did the oils and I did part the fuse box bracket from the tray and fitted a 6mm bolt to hold them together. This should enable me to attend to the oil change without delving into the fuse box. I did feel a bit anxious with lifting up the fuse box content.Your advice on how to go about that really helped enormously thanks.
Now on to resetting the display back to miles etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.