Towbar electric socket - Page 3 - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 01:06 Thread Starter

Thanks guys the part that puts me off doing it is there are 2 sets of coloured cable for example the yellow cable how would I know which is the lh indicated and which is the reverse cable etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 02:17

Pdman
if you do disconnect the cable from the pin in plug mark each cable up with some electrical tape and write the PIN number on it
So you do not mix up the sequence of wiring.
But if your not confident in doing this job it's best left for someone who is

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 10:45

Why have you got 2sets of cables .is it a double scoket .as 13 pin has only 1 cable with wire all different colours.
The 7 pin has 7 the other wire on a twin scoket is grey .the instructions tell you which wire to put to which pin

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 11:07 Thread Starter

I was going by the diagrams Bigjohnsparky put up of the 13 pin socket, I haven't actually looked at them yet as it was dark and I just put a plastic bag over them as we have had snow, another question, would I need to disconnect the battery and if I do will I need to reset anything
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 11:12 Thread Starter

The only part of the plug I have is the pins that the cable goes into and they have no numbers, it broke the plug apart and just left the wire in the pins, I am pretty adapt at diy but not very happy with electricity.
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 12:22

Hi pdman
Number 9 green cable as this is live mainly for the Alko system on caravan if fitted. all others should be ok as long as ignition is off and lights are switched off
But pdman if you are not confident in changing outlet you are better in leaving cables connected to old damaged outlet because if you take cables out and loose the sequence of cables then who ever does fit new outlet they will have to start metering out each cable to fit correct cable to the correct pin which will and extra costs as who ever fitted wiring in the 1st place and spliced it into the vehicles loom may have changed cable colours anyway.
Electricity does frighten a lot of people as you can not see it. It's not wrong to be cautious with electricity.
this shows that you know your own limitations and do jobs that you are happy doing

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 13:07 Thread Starter

Thank Bigjohnsparky, I have rung the previous owner and he has given me the name etc of the original towbar fitters so May give them a ring as when he had the car he had the light on the dash even though I never have which as you suggested may mean I have the dedicated electrics and as the company is based about 25 minutes away I think I will ask if they can do it, but many thanks for everybody's advice etc, better safe than sorry.
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 14:16

http://www.uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/wi...pin-euro-plug/
This is all you need to put the new scoket on .the pegs in the scoket are numbered
IE put the yellow wir in to the peg marked no 1 and so it is like wireing a plug all you heed is a small screwdriver and a small spanner for the 2 nuts to hold scoket to car

post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 14:44 Thread Starter

Thanks swinton, I would be ok doing it I think, but now don't know if it is standard or dedicated electrics, so have rung the previous owner who is a friend and he has given me the name and number of the original fitters so will give them a ring tomorrow and get them to fit it, hopefully they will have a record of what they put on if not they will be able to see, previous owner says he had a green light on the dash when he connected the caravan, I have ever had the light so better safe than sorry, they are only about 12 mile away, they do mobile so may come to the house but I suspect it would be cheaper to go to them, thanks very much for all your advice.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 18th March 2018, 16:43

It does not matter which way it is .the wires at the scoket end are the same which ever way it is wired in the car
Standard or dedicated are wired the same to the car .dedicated is plug in .standard is wired with Scots clips to wiring loom .but is standard for both for scoket end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page