Leaking Radiator - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 31st August 2020, 19:28 Thread Starter

Unhappy Leaking Radiator

Hi All

Looks like I have a leaking radiator from my 2012 2.2 manual exclusive.

I needed to put 1.5 litres of water in it today just to get me back from holiday and I can smell vaporising antifreeze. Looks a bit of a job with the radiator, intercooler and air con condenser all sandwiched together.

I can just see through the grill antifreeze that has dripped off the radiator. Has anyone done the job and know what is involved.

I have asked the question on Ebay if their radiators fit my car, awaiting a reply. Looks like I need to get out and under tomorrow. Richy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 1st September 2020, 04:41 Thread Starter

I have found this, what I think is a very good, Youtube video of a guy replacing the radiator on a captiva in the states.
Ebay have also responded saying the radiator in the listing fits my car, so all that is left is to check that it is the radiator which is faulty. Ill let you know how I get on.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2020, 08:25 Thread Starter

Quick Update for you guys.

I removed the radiator yesterday and what a state it is in, the top has ballooned upwards. The job although reasonably tricky is pretty straight forward for a competent DIY mechanic. The only challenging part is having the right tools, a 1/4" socket set is useful and a range of combination spanners do the trick but their are two challenging screws that secure the bumper to the wings which is very awkward and you need a 7mm ratchet spanner which I have now ordered. Just to give you a flavour of whats involved,

Jackup the front of the car and place on axle stands, remove both front wheels.
Remove the engine under shield
I removed the battery but not absolutely necessary but safer.
Remove the airbox and washer bottle inside the front wings.
Remove both headlamps.
Unbolt and remove the front bumper disconnecting the wiring harness as you go.
Remove the bonnet holding bracket
Remove the large bumper strut. This then exposes the front rads.
You need to re-support the air con radiator which is in front of the intercooler which is in front of the coolant radiator. I used string from the bonnet stay above.
Remove the intercooler pipes
Drain the radiator and disconnect both hoses
Remove the bumper support bracket on the left hand side of the radiator as you face it.
Unbolt and remove the intercooler.
unbolt, disconnect and remove the radiator, withdrawing to the left where you removed the bumper bracket.
Remove the fan cowling from the radiator.

And thats where I have now got to. Awaiting delivery of the new radiator. This is a bit brief their are lots of cables to detach as you go. This is from memory so may of missed some small details.

Regards
Richy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 4th September 2020, 11:31 Thread Starter

Finished replacing the radiator, when refilling the system you need to purge the air out of the rad by removing the vent plug on the top in front of the air box. Once done seems to refill with no issues. All these notes help any of you guys with a similar problem. Richy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page