Antara Owners Club banner

timing belt replacement

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Richy 
#1 ·
Please can anyone tell me details for when to change the timing belt mileage and or time. I can't find anything in the owners manual or find info off the internet. I'm assuming it is a belt and not a chain

#4 ·
Why can members who ask a question not be bothered to reply to the question they asked.
It can not be a desperate answer they want .if they have found the answer they could at least say so .
I will not bother answering any questions if they can not be bothered to acknowledge it

#8 ·
Thats a really good question. I don't think that their is a one answer fits all either. Different cars have different characteristics.

I think the main fundamental difference is they don't deteriorate with age unlike a belt which has a maximum time limit and their life is considered less that a chain. Belts are generally perceived as a consumable item that needs replacing whereas a chain may last the life of the engine, although the life of a chain is dramatically affected by the quality and service life of the engine oil. So chains generally wear and stretch with poor lubrication,they also have tensioning devices which can wear and need periodic replacement, but unless the service schedule requires, the car has been well maintained and their is no noise from the chain then you normally would consider it is ok and doesn't need replacing.

hope that sort of answers your question. Richy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.