What Do You Tow - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 1st February 2020, 18:03 Thread Starter

What Do You Tow

Hi All

I have booked my tickets for the caravan show and I'm going to look at some new caravans. But I was wondering what is the maximum I can tow with my 2.2 Manual Exclusive. Starting to consider an 8ft van.
So what caravan and weight do you all tow with your Antara's ? Does anyone successfully tow a double wheeler ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 9th February 2020, 19:14

Richy,

My 2.2 manual SE Nav tows a 1500kg Bailey Unicorn easily. Before I bought the car I concluded that it should tow 1800kg legally and safely.

However, beware that caravan manufacturers understate the true weight of their units and the plated weight is misleading. They seem to ignore that caravanners also carry a battery, gas bottles, a motor mover, crockery and cutlery, bedding, toilet fluid, etc., etc. and when you take this lot into account there is a **** of a difference. I discovered this at my last 'van service when the dealer weighed the 'van and said it was overloaded - even though I had emptied the unit of personal effects. A tyre had also been rubbing one of the wheelarch liners - which was a shock. As an aside, there was a manufacturer's label in the gas compartment stating a weight greater than that stamped on the plate so that is what I work to. Also, I now load the car rather than the caravan. The more I researched this subject, the worse it got and the more angry I became; it's a can of worms to keep the sales figures up. Double-edged because modern cars are becoming lighter and the engines smaller whilst caravans are having more and more luxuries installed (e.g. aircon units, satellite dishes, microwave cookers, additional shock absorbers, etc.).

Be prepared to ask some awkward questions on this before you part with your dosh and form your own opinion on the responses.

A double axle shouldn't be a problem as long as it is within 1800kg. Incidentally, the firm that supplied and fitted the towbar told me that not any old towbar will do, it has to be matched to suit the weight of what you intend to tow. As a warning to others, be aware that not all wiring kits for towbars carry a supply for the fridge or for charging. This isn't just the Antara, my pal's new BMW suffered the same omission when his was installed.

The Antara AWD is the best towcar I have had over 35 years of 2 litre turbo and 2.5 litre Peugeot diesels towing ancient and modern caravans. That's why I intend to keep it for as long as economically possible.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th February 2020, 20:09 Thread Starter

Hi Dulac

Thanks for your response. I understand my manual has a two tonne towing limit which is heavier than the car, that is stated on the registration document. One of the vans I was actually considering was a bailey unicorn cabrera, which is similar in weight to my swift, which my Antara tows really well as you suggest. I was wondering if I were to loose the plot and walk away with an 8ft double wheeler would the car be able to cope, even if technically it should be able to. Car is in for the MOT on Friday hope it passes. Its that nail biting time again. Richy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 13th February 2020, 18:13

Richy,

Mine failed last year on a leaking self-adjusting rear shock absorber; it cost about £600 to replace with a genuine GM part from Korea.

Looking in the 2015 OM, the kerbside weight of a AWD 2.2 is about 1950kg, with a FWD about 1850kg. The Caravan Club always recommends about 85% of the KW for a loaded 'van (but I understand that this allows for inexperienced drivers unused to towing). In theory you should be able to tow 1850 kg, fully loaded, legally and subject to when you passed your driving test. I used to tow with a 2.0 Peugeot 3008 FWD where the 'van and the car weighed the same - without any problem apart from front wheel spin on inclined gravel tracks.

Remember, the bigger the 'van the more you are likely to load it up. A double axle suggests a heavy 'van (perhaps best suited to pickup trucks and Range Rovers). With an 8 foot width and twin axles you will need quite a bit more room to access and manoeuvre on CLs (and country lanes). A couple of friends of mine got rid of their twin axles because of this. Also, don't forget the motor mover aspect with a twin - and the additional weight of that - together with the problems with future reselling in this 'green' (and increasingly internal combustion engine free) motoring environment of the UK.

Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choice! Whatever you get, enjoy it.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th February 2020, 15:27 Thread Starter

Dulak your right about the country lanes, I have been in a few tight squeezes already with my swift. The bailey Unicorn is wider than my swift at 7'6" i think. Certainly does make a big difference to the feel inside the caravan, car passed its MOT. Happy Days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page