Tyres and cruise control - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2020, 19:46 Thread Starter

Tyres and cruise control

Hi, I have just purchased a 2012 2.2 SE CDTI in a private sale. I have just noticed that the tyre pressures are not showing and the cruise control switches on but cant be set. Could these be linked for some reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2020, 20:11

Hi I'm assuming the SE displays tyre pressures as standard, I don't know, my 2012 Exclusive doesn't display tyre pressures. Richy
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2020, 20:25

Just double checking, I'm sure you must already know this but just in case before the cruise can be set it needs to be switched on by a button at the back of the stalk otherwise it cannot be set. When switched on a yellow light is displayed on the dashboard which turns green when set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2020, 20:44 Thread Starter

Yes I have switched it on and get the yellow light but it just wont set.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2020, 14:07

Hi Haggis

How peculiar.

To me, and I'm not an expert, it would appear the system is functioning but something is stopping it from setting. I'm just wondering what disables the cruise, I know obviously the brakes will, so check your brake lights are not working continuously i.e. fault with the brake pedal switch. The other one which I'm not sure about is whether or not the car has to be in a certain gear for the cruise to operate, perhaps their is a switch on the gearbox or gear selector which enables the cruise. Perhaps one of our clever experts will know. I'll also have a look in my manual to see if anything can be gained. Richy
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2020, 14:14

Hi Haggis

This is out of the manual, these are the things that disable the cruise control.

Automatic deactivation:
■ vehicle speed below approx.
45 km/h,
■ the brake pedal is depressed,
■ the clutch pedal is depressed,
■ selector lever in N,
■ the Electronic Stability Control is
operating.

The only other final thing I can think of is a faulty switch or wiring fault on the circuits identified.

Hope that helps

Richy

Last edited by Richy; 3rd December 2020 at 14:16.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 4th December 2020, 11:44 Thread Starter

Thank Richy for the advise the only thing I am not sure of is the electronic stability control. Is that something I have to switch off?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 4th December 2020, 14:38

No Mate

ESC is normally active, that's the default condition.

You do not need to switch it off to activate the cruise control.

I think what it means is that if the cruise control is active and operation and the car were to get into a slide or skid which was detected by the ESC then the Cruise would automatically be disabled (deactivated). Personally never happened to me.

Again, need an expert really who may know if their is something prone to fail which can cause this problem. But for me, without knowing the history of your car, I would guess something is either been left unplugged or one of the switches may have a fault. For example check your clutch switch, see if it clicks when you depress the clutch. Check your brake lights are not on continuously, if automatic do you have gear indication on the dash and does it work (mine manual so not sure what you have) check your speedo is working. See if you can find any plugs undone. If auto is the gear selector wired or perhaps unplugged.

Has anyone had anything apart, could you ask the previous owner did something happen to cause it to stop working.

I would lays odds someone has touched something and caused this problem. Sorry I can't be more help mate. Richy
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 4th December 2020, 14:58

Apparently their is a separate switch on the brake pedal, you could also check the connector on the steering column to the stalk. Richy
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th December 2020, 22:40

Garage
Some great advice above. I suspect you have two issues not linked. Have you checked to see if the tyre pressures sensors are installed? You will need to take it to a tyre fitted to break the bead back to check.

Faulty control switch, clutch switch or poor connection is most likely cruise issue. It would be worth putting it on a diag machine to check for any trouble codes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page