Was 4wd, now 2wd - can I revert? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th November 2020, 22:00 Thread Starter

Was 4wd, now 2wd - can I revert?

Hi all,
Just brought what I thought I was a 4wd but previous owner removed prop and is 2wd.
Really after the 4wd system - any way I can revert?
If so how - and what’s roughly the cost?
Also any pros and cons?
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 16th November 2020, 10:11

You could try replacing the prop shaft. My understanding is the car will run without a prop shaft, so that may well me all the previous owner has done, just removed the prop shaft. You need to check the transfer box is still in place and hasn't had any of the gears removed, as this is sometimes considered when people have transfer box issue. I recommend if your transfer box is ok then change the oil in it, it will help extend the life.

If the transfer box is in place you could try rotating the prop shaft connection. it shouldn't turn when the vehicle is stationary.

New prop shafts are hard to come by, I think its about £1500 for a new unit. The universal joints are also sealed for life so you need to check the condition of any second hand units. Theres a new one on Ebay at the moment for around £350, second hand units are approx half that piece. Do check the part numbers though to make sure they are compatible. You will need the bolts also, be careful here I think prop shaft bolts are hardened.

Hope that helps Richard
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 16th November 2020, 10:26

Sorry, just thinking about this.

I think, importantly, you need to consider why someone has removed the prop shaft.

Prop shafts are not normally an issue, so why has someone removed it. Transfer boxes can be a problem and so can diffs.

You wouldn't normally remove a prop for no reason, other than perhaps wanting to save a bit on fuel and that's pretty unusual. You also need to check your rear drive shafts are in place.

Richy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 19th November 2020, 20:00

Garage
Richy hit the nail on the head above. Seems suspicious to me.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” – Steve McQueen
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 17:32

It is possible that the transfer box has a problem, by removing the prop shaft it will take some pressure of the box but also you may find that the internal gears have been removed from the box meaning it is now only 2WD, this is usually done because of bearing failure and noise from the transfer box, away to tell is to see of the prop shaft flange in the box is turning with the engine running, if yes box is probably intact if not possible stripped out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page