Rough idle - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th October 2020, 20:42 Thread Starter

Rough idle

Hi , new to site but always having a look , I have a 2012 2.2 se nav antara 4x4 , had a problem with engine vibration through steering wheel and floor when on idle , I ended up replacing the injectors , no difference , then turbo changed after inspection, turbo pipe changed , still no change , runs perfect , starts perfect , itís idling at 700 rpm , stop start not working , button working , not heard the DPF going , any ideas , or anyone has this problem , itís annoying as I love the car and had it from new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11th October 2020, 11:06

Hi Can you clarify something.

Is the engine running rough or do you just have a vibration issue ?

4 cylinder diesels are not the smoothest of things, especially the Antara, the engine develops a lot of torque.

If its at idle, then the turbo wouldn't do anything. if the DPF was blocked then the engine would have no power. Guessing could this be an injector issue or an engine mount issue.

Have you tried getting the engine codes read, you could try some injector cleaner. What about the air flow sensor they sometimes need cleaning, their is also a valve on the inlet to the intake manifold, apparently they can stick.

Not really sure,my engine sometimes hunts a little at idle, I can hear a diesel knock which goes after a few secs and then comes back, it just keeps repeating itself, it doesn't always do it. I was maybe thinking it could be a sticking air intake valve. I haven't quite figured out what this could be.

Richy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th October 2020, 20:54

My antara also has vibration.it shakes the hole floor of car also the steering wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st October 2020, 10:32

just sat this morning with my engine idling and I can feel the engine hunting through vibration in the body. I can feel the vibration every 6-7 seconds and it lasts for 2-3 seconds approx.

Has anyone had anything similar. Richy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st October 2020, 10:38

Found this Youtube

This is exactly the noise that mine makes. Richy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2020, 07:52

Does anyone have any idea what this is. Could if be a sticking valve or a dirty air flow sensor. It seems the engine refuses to settle into a consistent idling state and keeps adjusting itself. Any ideas why. Richy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 1st November 2020, 12:28

Mine has been in the garage for a month now for a new transfer box, but it has this issue also but only when the engine is hot. I think it is an injector problem, I get no eml lights and have told the garage it needs sorting but still waiting for a response.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 06:59

Hi jonjon

I'm convinced this is not an injector problem. So I wouldn't go committing to huge sums of money. This noise is not continuous but more of a hunting type sound where it comes and goes. Also the fact that this only happens when the engine is hot is another factor, if this were an injector fault why would this not happen when the engine is cold.

I think this is related to the EGR valve and I have also heard people say an EGR cable fault, Well I have wiggled my cables and cannot reproduce the fault. The EGR valve only operates when the engine is hot and I believe at idle, which is when I get the noise. We know that EGR valves, so people say, can be problematic.

So, coming back to the noise, the hunting sound I think is the engine ECU continually adjusting the injectors to try to meet some setting which it is unable to do. The next check for me is to disconnect the EGR plug when the engine is hot and making the noise to see if it stops. Then I will probably need to remove the EGR valve which is not the most straight forward as I understand you need to remove the rear engine support. This I'm seeking motivation for as I'm nearly 60, its cold outside, it doesn't stop the car working and we rarely use the car winter.

So can anyone with this problem try disconnecting the EGR valve and tell me if the problem goes away. Then we move on to the next stage. Richy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 10:50

Richy, every injector has a correction factor which has to be logged into the ECU. Once these are known, the ECU goes through a Pilot Learning (or Small Quantity Learning) process to get the best pilot injection timing and duration for that engine.
Pilot Injection can go out of sync eg because one or more injectors is contaminated or worn and can cause uneven idling, surging etc. When the engine is hunting like that, itís because the ECU is trying to re-learn the pilot injection requirements but itís hamstrung because the correction factors which are hard-coded into it are no longer correct.

Some owners have the injectors removed and overhauled and find this cures the problem. It only needs one of the injector nozzles to be even partially blocked to affect the injector spray pattern and if thereís dirt in the fuel system youíre better to get them all done.

You can run a leak-off test to see if there is a badly worn injector and, if there is, then a replacement injector may well cure the problem.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 22:53

OK Victor, I'm clearly wrong in my assumptions. Thanks for the advise

Presumably you need to take the car to Vauxhall to get the leak off test carried out ?
Do you have any idea why it doesn't do this when the engine is cold or is it just how it is.

Richy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page