Antara non starter driving me nuts - Page 3 - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 18th March 2020, 06:14

Hi Gyislander
I replaced my starter with a brand new one. Now my stop start rarely works,
My starter also appears a very basic piece of kit. I'm certain my car doesn't have the correct battery, appears to small for the box it sits in. On the rare occassion it does work its after the car has been driven several times and just after it has been started --strange.

A new correct battery would probably help.

The starter is just an electric motor with a solenoid bolted on the side which is connected to the battery, so im struggling to understand how that can impact on the stop start circuit. Richy

To me it seems that your two sensors are not syncronised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 19th March 2020, 21:12 Thread Starter

Richy,they're definatley not in sync, the big question is why ? Why it runs perfectly disconnected is another wonder. I've been getting some guidance from another forum too and a guy who is in the trade and into electronics. His view is that when cranking over something is interfering with the ecu comms and or drawing excessive voltage, since it starts easily on a bump that may point towards the starter circuit. I've found that the alternator is only putting out 13.1v too. Its positive cable is linked via the starter so it could be an electrical fault/draw there. With the alternator disconnected from everything its still a no start which rules it out as drawing excessive power. I know the starter cables can fail/burn out on the Antara too again due to starter voltage issues.

There are 2 different starters for the Antara depending on stop/start or not. I don't know the technical differences between the 2 but I'd guess that fitting the wrong one may have consequences, perhaps thats been done on mine. I have one on order from Germany, 2 weeks delivery but 70 cheaper ! Cars parked up now until it arrives. Hopefully I'll be back in a couple of weeks with a positive outcome.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2020, 16:39

I'm sure you will sort it. I guessing the difference between the starters is just its robustness. I still have my old starter if you want it. still works ok, not sure where you live, i'm in the midlands

Let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page