Grinding Noise From Front - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 00:43 Thread Starter
Groupie

Grinding Noise From Front

I can't be the only Antara owner to notice this and wonder if some people have been charged for new wheel bearings when in fact it is the brake discs.

I had the happen for the first time about 4 to 5 years ago. And yes I changed a bearing at first thinking it was that. It turned out the clearance between the brake pad slider fitting and the edge of the brake disc is only about 2mm. When the edge of the disc corrodes and gets hot the disc rubs on the thin metal piece the pads slide on. It makes a horrific grinding noise. It's just started again on new discs I fitted 2 years ago. An hour and a half with a welding slag hammer and a metal file and all good again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 19th January 2020, 06:09

Hi, I'm wondering if this is my issue too. It's not very loud though, starts a 1-3 minutes after starting to drive. There didn't appear to be any trigger to make the noise happen other than cruising along - not powering away or breaking. When it happens, generally accelerating or decelerating or clutch depressed would stop the noise (or so it can't be heard.), but not all the time.only happens while moving.

What do you think?

Someone mentioned the fan clutch as I was searching about a winding down noise when I stop the engine and thought they could be related.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th January 2020, 09:09

Yes, I had it as well. I always thought I could hear something whilst driving, then one day whilst waiting for my wife to collect me, as she approached I could hear that grinding noise quite load and so that prompted me to take some action. If you take the front wheels off and spin the hub you can see and hear the problem.

Basically their is a bend in the shield to accommodate the ball joint, at this point the shield is very close to the disk, also my disk was corroded on the outer rim which didn't help, so I hammered the loose corrosion off the outside of the disk and deformed the shield back as much as I could to solve the problem.
Richy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th January 2020, 10:12

Yes Happened on mine also, done the same and cleaned up the discs, will probably replace them this year as they are pretty corroded on the edges now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page